Asparagus Wraps and Sweet Pepper Poppers

JasonS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
These appetizers are a couple of my favorites and are pretty easy to make. For the asparagus wraps, I use prosciutto from Trader Joe’s and Boar’s Head “picante” provolone cheese from Sprout’s. The sweet peppers are stuffed with chunks of string cheese, then wrapped with narrow slices of thick-cut bacon. I cut the peppers open just enough to get the cheese in there and not ooze out all over the place. I also figured out the where the flattest part was, so they wouldn’t roll over.

Prepped and ready for the grill.

41014444460_973b469216_c.jpg

It took about 20 minutes, running at 375*-400*, to render the bacon and get the asparagus tender.

28951702018_f8469ef69a_c.jpg

All done! I had enough for about 3-4 people here.

28951706068_99a8697102_c.jpg

A couple of plated pics.

28951692908_efe0a0f333_c.jpg

42776263422_5f02f4b586_b.jpg

If you haven’t tried these tasty appetizers, I highly recommend giving them a try!

Thise look real tasty! I love using those little peppers, and the lack of heat makes my wife love them.

Those sure look good. However, if I ate all that - there wouldn't be any room left for dinner. :becky:

These look amazing. I'm always looking for creative and tasty appetizers for when my guests arrive and leading up to the star BBQ. Just to be clear...you are using sweet peppers right?...and...are you using a slice of cheese around the asparagus and then the prosciutto? Thanks for the great post and clear pics. Happy Smokin'

Thanks for the nice comments, much appreciated!

Just to be clear...you are using sweet peppers right?

Yes, the peppers are sweet and have zero heat. Same flavor and texture of regular bells, just mini size.

...and...are you using a slice of cheese around the asparagus and then the prosciutto?

Wrapping them this way prevents a lot of the cheese from oozing out. As you can see, I get the cheese sliced pretty thin, which helps too.

39032131442_cb84f26f0b_z.jpg

38181531805_eb596935bf_z.jpg

Nice! And beautiful pictures!

I love the mini sweet peppers. I just grill them and eat them they way they are, or stuff them, or even cut them in half and use them as the base for nachos.

Looks delicious, Jason. I also love the technique of stuffing the peppers from the side. I've done them from the top using a popper stand an it's still unwieldy and troublesome. Nice job.

Back