smoked chicken

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Been trying to master the art of smoking some chicken halves.. Been brining and smoking around 250 (i know i generally like to smoke them around 325 but usually have some other meat in the smoker) .. Any how they come out to dry.. Tried throwing some butter on them 1/2 way thru and still just cant seem to get it right.. HEEEEEEELLLPPPPPP!!!!

Did you temp the breast and thigh with a thermometer? If so, what temp are you removing them from the cooker?

Try cooking hotter 325-350* and direct over coals if you can. The butter is only helping the outside, doesn't get into the meat. Maybe try injecting with butter too. What's your brine?

Brine just use some b sugar, kosher salt and a pinch of pink salt and some garlic.

agree prob should pull at 160.... wrap with foil? to continue cooking off the smoker

put a lemon with knife piercings through the spit rod and tuck it into the cavity..

SHHHH dont tell anyone!

Inject with 1 stick melted butter and a 16oz can of low sodium chicken broth. Smoke till breast 160, thighs 180. Which ever comes 1st. Pull and let rest 30 min covered with foil. ENJOY

Here's what I do for chickens and turkeys:

1. Spatchcock the bird the day before. (https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...-science/how-spatchcock-and-butterfly-poultry)
2. Dry brine. (https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining)
3. Place on a rack over a tray and put in the fridge overnight.
4. Mix herbs and spices with a stick of room temperature butter.
5. Rub butter mixture under and over the skin.
6. Smoke indirect at high heat (350* or higher) to 165* in the thickest part of the breast.

Note: Birds absorb smoke like a sponge. Have a clean stick fire or use only a small amount of wood if using charcoal and chunks.

The following 15 LB turkey took less than two hours at around 375*:

Attachments

• Turkey.jpg
    Turkey.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 331
I like to inject with Tony Chachere's Creole Butter and Jalapeno.

I cook between 275-300. Brine then cook in pans with butter.

My method is pretty much THoey's. Only difference is that instead of butter (for chickens), I put oil under the skin to keep out the moisture.

Attachments

• 20170325_183112.jpg
    20170325_183112.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 20171123_170046 (1).jpg
    20171123_170046 (1).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 244
I had always cooked pretty good chicken halves but could never get them to be great. A good friend does them great every time. I asked his secret and he said simply they aren’t done until the joints wiggle. I noticed they always took longer than mine(about 2 hours plus)where I was cooking mine to 160-165 in the breast for about an 1:15-1:30 at the most. So I then read on this forum where Bludawg commented he cooks his to 190 in the breast so I decided to cook mine longer than usual until the joints wiggle which is usually 2 hours. I’m getting a much better product now. Usually temps around 180-190 in the breast. The grill temp is usually 300-325.

I know tons of folk are -but I'm not a fan of chicken on the smoker at at all. I've cooked it low/high and in between and it's just not my fave. Turkey (once a year) is ok.

But chicken? Much rather grill it.

Back