Cold Smoke Salmon

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I have been curing 3 Salmon filets using Don Marco's method for cold smoking since Monday night. Rinsed them off this AM and are now sitting in water to drawal some salt off the top. The Salmon itself was stiff after rinsind and there was not much fluid around the salmon Most had moved out of the saran wrap and double foil wrap. Will be coating with Gent Jack soon Only time will tell how it turns out

I'm sure it will turn out great. Salmon seems to be one of those things that always comes out really good. :thumb: Looking forward to the pron!

Well the taste was today It was a little drier and saltier than expected but still REALLY GOOD. Definately will do again- I still have > 1.5 lbs left. My son really enjoyed it Next time I will use the methed that the Esteemed Mr. Gore PM me about. My problem was that a lot of the cure leak out away from the Salmon. Gore's method leaves the salmon submerged. I do have Pics and my son said he would help learn how to Post. So maybe I can learn how to do Pron and even a Good Avatar. Do plan to have the Salmon for lunch too

Glad you liked it, George. After we did this a few times, we cut back on the salt:sugar ratio and now use about 1:4. That cuts back on the saltiness. We also don't individually wrap the salmon steaks, but simply coat them back in the bag they came in (saving tons of plastic) and put the whole thing in a cake pan to keep the juice from leaking everywhere. I want to emphasize the recipe is really still the same. It is just a few things that make the process quicker and easier. For instance, setting up the curing process now takes about 5 minutes the night before -- yes, I basically do this all while my wife mixes a couple drinks. :smile:

Here's the link:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2183418&postcount=37

The point is that recipes should be adjusted for taste and ease. This is what we do. It may not work for you and you may find some other tricks. I should also note that in the above link I am warm smoking, not cold smoking! The curing process we use is the same.

Thanks again Gore I will definately try this next time I do Salmon I mlike the idea that my wife could make a drink as I do it

Gore I brine with the same approach except that to my 3 cups brown sugar & 2/3 rd cup kosher salt I add 4 tblsp of smoked paprika.

I'll have to try the sesame dressing

I finally figured out how to do pictures. YUM!

DfuGe.jpg

Ex7FV.jpg

Knrln.jpg

QiXdF.jpg

Great looking salmon and I love your new avatar George!

By George, I think he's got it! :thumb:

Sweet looking salmon, and love the avatar!

Great post George... I'm one of Gore's Salmon Zombie Hoard as well. Good to see the pics of your cook and love your avatar too!

Back