Old Country Gravity Problem?

Wow, Interesting. I appreciate the guys feel to speak up about the issue. This is one of the pits I was looking at. But I ended up ordering the Shirley 23x36 because I was tired of waiting to see those and I kind of wanted a stick burner anyway. Those just seemed like such a great deal

I wonder what they used for that insulation? I can't imagine a better alternative costing that much more per unit. Must have just been a bad choice.

Eh, this guy sucks up to weber and defends the smokefire tooth and nail. Who cares what he thinks.

Well, from what he says and has said about the cooker in the past, he really likes it. He's reporting on what happened to the next guy that owned it and what he went thru. Don't shoot the messenger.

Hard to believe that Smitty did not get enough test cooks in to replicate this issue.

But it's easy to see how the YouTube guy never had the bad smell and taste in his OC Gravity.

I have seen several of this guys videos... seemed every week or so he had a new cooker. You'd see them a couple times and he'd move on to another one. I guess he had to keep it fresh.

Maybe the OC guy will take heed and swap out the insulation and get this behind him.

I have watched a bunch of his videos. Pretty straight up guy from what I have seen. good heads up post

Eh, this guy sucks up to weber and defends the smokefire tooth and nail. Who cares what he thinks.

Can't speak to the past with the Smokefire, but the one I just purchased and installed all of the updates on (Auger, Motor, Auger Tube) is rock solid. It blows my Grilla Silverback out of the water in terms of the flavor it produces. I enjoy this guys videos.

I have the OC gravity pit and I've cooked on it a ton, average 3 times a week since May 2nd and I've never had any problems like that. But i stick to briquettes and put wood chunks in the firebox and not the chute. In one of his videos he sticks a long log in the chute and fills around it with lump and fires it up like that, possibly that much heat has something to do with it. If i ever have that problem I'll update this but right now mine is good.

An 8 minute video for 30 seconds worth of information. I don't know where you guys find the patience.

100% my exact feeling of this video...though I can't blame YouTubers as the algorithm used by YouTube forces people to make videos with certain run times to get noticed.

The guy says his buddy took pics and it would be nice to see them displayed in the video. As it sits right now this video is 100% hearsay as everything the guy is talking about is 3rd party and there's not a shred of evidence. I'm not suggesting that he's fabricating the story, but if your buddy has pics then why not include them in the video? It would make a good video if he showed the pics of the melted insulation, the extra plate his buddy installed, etc..

I wouldn't let this video sway me either way as it's effectively useless.

Agreed. My comments were scrubbed from his channel when I pointed out that he flip-flops on his Smokefire opinions. In the past he was woe is me for the early adopter purchase he made. After he sold it, the updates came out, and he bought another one he's changed his tune back to 'Its the best grill ever.' Changing opinions based off of evidence is fine, but he didn't like his past comments being brought back up. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but rather have him clarify his comments from the past. Lots of insulting, pushback from his side before eventually scrubbing comments. Unsubbed after that.

He uses a lot of words to say very little in his videos. I'd like to actually see the problem on the gravity feed before believing him at this point.

The food he makes does look good though. Just not my kind of personality as far as YT BBQer goes. Lots of others to pick from thankfully!

Last edited:
I think he is great! No bs, produces some good looking food. I only recall him stating what his feelings were of his grills at the time...he had Yoder’s and liked them but moved on...had smoke fire and liked it and then had issues (like many have) and moved on...came back around and now his new smoke fire is working well (seems like it’s same for a lot of folks). Had several stick burners and tried other things. I get it...I get bored of cookers and like to try new ones also. I’d love to sit down and have a few beers with him and cook for a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watched his video again and he is describing what happened to the Masterbuilt gravity fed pits. He says the guy took out the screws on the chute gasket to get to the insulation but on my Old Country gf its all welded together. You would need a blowtorch to get into this thing.

No one takes YT vids as gospel, however it raises points and possibly explains partly why Old Country has been pulled from Academy.

Old Country pulled from Academy? I was just there on Friday and they had a whole bunch of them out in front.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when they are out of stock they stop showing up on the website.

Pretty much. I still see other Old Country models at models at my local Academy last I chcked. I'm scoping a Brazos as a cheaper offset. Wish I had snapped one up when they were on sale last :(

Last edited:
Back