• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First pizzas in new pizza oven!!!! (With pRon)

tom72

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, and a Merry Christmas Eve to you all! When I last posted, I had just completed the dome of my new cob-style pizza oven:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148689

I've been letting it dry out and have been building fires in it every day for almost a week now. There have been some cracks (which were expected), but it's holding up pretty well.

Anyhow, yesterday I got the temps up to almost 800 degrees, so I decided I would push it again today. Of course, I couldn't resist...so I had to try making a few pies while I had it fired up. I knew I would!

Burn baby, burn!
Firingitup_zps7d9d7018.jpg

Swept out and ready for pizza!
Readytocook_zps1230a5c5.jpg

First pie just in:
Pizzajustin_zps277c9230.jpg

After about 20-30 seconds:
PizzaCooking_zps3bdc58e7.jpg

Done! This was an Italian sausage pie, my favorite:
SausagePizza_zpsae437874.jpg

Here's the second one...white pizza with olive oil, minced garlic cloves and mozzarella:
WhitePizza_zpseddd5163.jpg

Here's the bottom of the white pizza:
Pizzabottom_zps8fd5b8fa.jpg

Well, I'll call it a success! Both pies were delicious...although I need to work on my skills working at temperatures that high...I got over 1100 degrees at one point. I had to let it cool before I even started putting pizzas in. Not a bad Christmas Eve...I hope you all have a great Christmas. Thanks for looking!

Yeah...there's a crack in the very front of the dome behind the brick arch. It goes almost halfway back across the oven. I had a seam there when I put the clay in that I didn't see, so when the dome shrunk (shrank?), that was the weak spot. Thankfully it's set now and not getting bigger. I'll be able to patch it, along with the other cracks I have, then go over it all with insulation and finishing plaster.

Yeah...there's a crack in the very front of the dome behind the brick arch. It goes almost halfway back across the oven. I had a seam there when I put the clay in that I didn't see, so when the dome shrunk (shrank?), that was the weak spot. Thankfully it's set now and not getting bigger. I'll be able to patch it, along with the other cracks I have, then go over it all with insulation and finishing plaster.

Glad you'll be able to repair. Those pie's look fabulous. I want about 10. What time can you deliver! Forget it, I'm on my way over!!!!

Awesome pies! And great job on the oven.

When I first stacked mine up, I thought you were supposed to cook at 1000F. Making pies used to be mad dash coz they would burn after a minute! Until I did some research and found out that things would be more manageable at a little lower temp.

Can't wait to see your finished oven. Would you care to share your dough recipe?

cool looking oven you got there. I am planning to build an outdoor kitchen and next year and may have to incorporate one of those in the build.

Very nice looking pies you got there.

Awesome pies! And great job on the oven.

When I first stacked mine up, I thought you were supposed to cook at 1000F. Making pies used to be mad dash coz they would burn after a minute! Until I did some research and found out that things would be more manageable at a little lower temp.

Can't wait to see your finished oven. Would you care to share your dough recipe?

It was almost a mad dash at the temps I was at...I can't imagine working with it at 1000 degrees or more!

Here's my dough recipe:

1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water (105-110 degrees F) - I've found bottled water works better.

1/2 tablespoon of sugar

1 1/2 tabspoons of olive oil

Pinch of salt

3 1/2 cups bread flour (give or take) - I start with 2 cups and add a little at a time after that.

Once the dough is kneaded well, I separate it into the portion sizes I want right then (this makes about 3 12-inch pies). Form each piece into a nice ball and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Coat the tops/sides with olive oil and cover loosely with plastic wrap...just to keep a skin from forming on the dough balls. Let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes are up, move the pan to the refrigerator and let them rise in there for 1 hour. This helps make the dough elastic and easy to work with. This is the only dough I've ever been able to toss and get paper thin without tearing.

Last edited:
It's been interesting following your build, thanks for sharing. That looks like you'll have a lotta fun "playing" with your new toy, looking forward to seeing future cooks!

Back