Backwards Serving Quantity Calculator

HarpAggie2001

Found some matches.
Hey guys, new to the forum, long time BBQer. I recently started pursuing some black market catering. More as a hobby than trying to get rich. Anyway I'm an excel spreadsheet dork. I like everything organized in an excel sheet whether its dog training, or BBQing.

TO THE POINT......I can't seem to develop the correct formula for calculating raw meat quantities based on desired cooked meat quantities. Granted, its easy if you have a 50% loss in cooking, but not all cuts do.

Example:
I would like to end up with 58 lbs of cooked meat and I expect a 35% loss during cooking. How much meat do I buy? Unfortunately you can't just multiply 58 X 1.35. If you do, you'll end up with 78.3 lbs. So, now we take that 78.3 lbs and apply the 35% cook loss and we end up with 51 lbs of cooked meat, which is 7 lbs short of our desired 58 lbs.

The correct answer is 89 lbs of raw meat will yield 58 lbs of cooked meat with a 35% loss during cooking. The only way I came up with that was by trial and error. Hoping someone might have a formula to calculate this.

Thanks for any help!

The formula is: Starting Weight = Finished Weight/(1-%loss)
So in your case:
SW=58/(1-.35)
SW=58/.65
SW= 89.23 lbs

Hope this helps! :)

Back