How do you care for your hands?

rikun

Full Fledged Farker
For those of you who do a lot of cooking,

How do you care for your hands? I've found out that I get persistent long-term rash on my hands when I do a bigger cook.

Might be due to washing them often, having gloves on almost constantly, etc, or just that my skin doesn't like BBQ.

Do you use cotton gloves under disposables? Did you get any rash when you started and did it go away after a year or so?

sorry, never got rashes from BBQing > > or most anything else. I also wash often each day. between taking care of shrubs, trees, dogs and horsey stuff, washing is inevitable and required>OFTEN > > but no rashes. some stickers and thorns and such from cacti and trees (seems all desert trees have thorns of some sort). I use whatever my wife has around for hand lotion, but not all that often > > maybe once a day at most. Been lucky I guess.
Ciao.

Are you using latex, nitrile or vinyl? Are they powdered or powder free?

Latex gloves or powdered gloves are frequently responsible for causing skin irritation.

I wash a lot. I am religious about it. I also wear nitrile gloves. The only time I put cotton liners under them is when I am pulling meat out of the smoker. I also have not had any rash issues. I would also assume the rash is from your gloves or a certain spice in your rub is causing the reaction.

Some of us work with our hands for a living, and build up callouses.
The bad part is in Winter and you get a crack in your skin - painful-
a homeopathic ointment 'Calandula" on the crack, wrapped in a band-aid,
works great. Try it. Found at Whole Foods, Apothecary type Leftist stores.
Just sayin'.

Are you using latex, nitrile or vinyl? Are they powdered or powder free?

Latex gloves or powdered gloves are frequently responsible for causing skin irritation.

I would look at this first. Many people have an allergy to latex. Try changing the type of gloves you use first.

Latex is a small factor, but ive known many people that break out from using powdered gloves. Which is why i asked about whether the gloves are powdered or not.

I had dermatitis from too much hand and dish washing. It was nasty with painful cracking and eventually saw the dermatologist about it. I was prescribed Topicort cream. I tried to minimize hand washing and applied lotion every chance I got. It got a whole lot better. The only positive was that dish washing was against the doctor's orders!

For BBQ, I use 2 types of gloves. Heavy gloves for high heat handling, and for food handling, I use a pair of curling iron gloves with food service gloves over them.

I was my hands often during a cook. I was lazy and used to use dish detergent, but that dried my hands out too much. So I switched to the bath and body Works stuff. My wife got like 200 of those bottles cheap..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

+1 on the GOJO Hand Medic, I used to work there and that stuff is amazing. My hands used to dry and crack but not anymore. They really do bring in all kinds of people to do skin testing on and test over several weeks or months with their own complete lab.

Jeff

Back