Tri-Tip Craze finally hits Michigan

angryelfFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
California and Michigan recently entered into an agreement sending a prized herd of Californian Tri-Tipped Equipped Cows to Michigan. In exchange, California receives and endless supply of Asian Carp and a case of Vernors Ginger Ale.

These are the first cows in Michgan ever to have Tri-Tips. There was a lottery drawing and my number actually came up! Needless to say, this is the first Tri-Tip I have ever cooked and possible the first ever cooked in the state of Michigan.

I reversed seared it on the PK with Wicked Good Lump and a bit of cherry wood. Pulled and rested it at 120 degrees for about 30 minutes. Seared it on the GrillGrates Sear Station that were around 700 degrees. It was incredibly delicious. I just went out and bought more lottery tickets for the next drawing. Can't wait to get my hands on more!!

Photo Apr 20, 9 26 06 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 9 29 09 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 9 30 00 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 5 04 09 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 5 22 32 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 5 23 52 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 5 34 20 PM.jpg

Photo Apr 20, 5 34 54 PM.jpg

Now you just need to find a butcher that can find the tri tip. Cause that doesn’t look like a tri tip to me.

That’s a tri tip.

eaHGpnal.jpg

Now you just need to find a butcher that can find the tri tip. Cause that doesn’t look like a tri tip to me.

That’s a tri tip.

ah ha!! I just googled it. That is the difference between a Tri-Tip Steak and a Tri-Tip Roast.

Well, whatever muscle it came from you still nailed it. I’d have no problem with a plate of that.

Perfectly cooked!

Where’s my Vernors? :wink:

I used to live in the Yoop. I, too, do not care for the Maize & Blue :)

Good looking piece of beef! Congrats on finding tri-tip downstate. I don't know that I ever saw it above the bridge either, but back then I didn't know to look for it.

I'd eat way too much of that, looks great. But I have to agree with Sportster. NOT a Tri-Tip. Looks more like a sirloin roast, no clue which exact cut it would be called though.

It was beef, it was cooked perfectly, so whatever you call it, I would call it DINNER!!

Angryelf, I'm not sure what you're smoking (besides beef) but I grew up in Michigan and that is where I go to get Tri-tip! You can get them at literally almost every single grocery store and butcher shop where I grew up. Next time you're on I-94 heading west stop in Jackson. But one of my favorite places in Jerome Country Market (on us-12), It's closer to where I grew up and it's an actual butcher shop (check out their website). There is another butcher shop closer to 127 south of US-12 but I don't remeber the name. But if you don't want to head that far south, most of the grocery stores and butcher shops in Jackson carry them. Some are plain, some seasoned with Lawry's, or Garlic & Herb, or Prime Rib Seasoning. Good Luck & GO BLUE!!!!!!

Cooked nicely, but not a traditional tri tip...looks awfully good though!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a tri tip.

eaHGpnal.jpg

Honestly, between catering and home cooking I have done more tri tips in three decades than I care to even think about. Some butchers...especially back east, tend to round them off a little (where they look less like "the State of Florida" or "a boot") and more like what the OP's shown. I have noticed this especially in prepacked marinated tri tips that come from out of state. Not sure why?

My slight critique of the OP's pics is how it was cut. The OP's pics are slightly with the grain. The most important thing about tri tip (more so than cooking it) is how you cut it. Sometimes it runs completely one direction (so you'll have some little short, as well as, 8" long angled slices if you don't cut the roast in half). Other times, it will curve and if you don't adjust to the grain, you'll make some continuous symmetrical cuts that it will run with the grain a portion of the time.

That said: we're all "en route." One down...a bunch to go!

Still hasn't really made it above the bridge. Once in a while you find it at some specialty butcher shops, but i'm not paying 18.99 a pound for a hunk of beef that isn't angus prime quality. Meijer has some seasoned ones, but they taste like they've been sitting in the spice blend for months.

Check out Joes produce/meat in Livonia. Its a stock item for them. Its also some of the most marbled tri tips ive ever seen. One of my favorite pieces of beef! You nailed the first shot

Back