Pulled Pork & Veggie Soup

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm putting this in Q-Talk because I discovered a great way to use leftover pulled pork this winter.

One of my wife's favorites is beef and veggie soup. I usually make a couple of huge batches each winter. We'll eat 3-4 bowls the first night. With a few Alton Brown and America's test kitchen episodes under my belt, my soup is getting better.

I started with my two soup bones last night, simmering for about four hours. Put in garlic, half an oinon, kosher salt, and of course a 6 quarts of water. Strained well and put in the fridge overnight. This morning I pulled out the fat that had seperated and risen to the top. NO MORE GREASY SOUPS!!!!

Soup bones didn't yield a lot of meat so I went in search of some brisket in the freezer. Found a small freezer burnt package of what I thought was brisket. Turned out to be pulled pork from some comp last year. This was one of those mistakes that turns into a new favorite. The pulled pork was great it in. The spice in the rub added a flavor to the soup and a little hint of heat.

I add ingredients in my veggie soup in stages...

Stage 1 - Simmer for 2+ hours
meat, Barley, Parsley, Oregano (just a bit), black Pepper, fresh carrots, fresh celery, frozen corn, fresh/frozen green beans, and fresh turnips - The carrots and turnips are my favorite part of the soup.

Stage 2 - Simmer another 30-45 min
Frozen peas, canned/fresh potatoes, and lima/butter beans (your call on the beans) - Since these ingredients are softer, you don't want them to totally disolve. This is why I add them in toward the end.

A tip I learned from a recent Good Eats is to not rapid boil your soup bones. It should be an easy, steady simmer. Your soup bones will release more of their marrow and flavor that way.

Veggie soup is always better the second night, too. Why is that? :tongue: The best starter, IMHO, for a beef & veggie soup is Ox tail. My grandfather swears by ox tail soup and I gotta agree. Some pulled pork, I learned, is a great meat filler. I'm going to have to try a little hot sauce in my next bowl!! :biggrin:

Attachments

• pulledporksoup 016 (Small).jpg
    pulledporksoup 016 (Small).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 34
Looks good. I'll keep it in my file.:cool:

Back