MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

o.k. let me try this. around 10 yrs ago my golf 4some got busted up and I needed to find another group. long about that time I happened to get a monthly email blast from the golf course about the current events, etc. included in the email was all the other email addresses they had sent it to, so I copied and pasted each name to an email that I sent out hoping someone would let me in their group. should I apologize, or did anyone send back and chew me out for it. No on both counts and I did get a couple of responses and eventually got with one of them.

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #32
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

For the record, the CAN-SPAM act makes it a federal crime to send out bulk, unsolicited eMail. An exception exists when there is a prior relationship between the sender and recipient, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #33
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Honestly, I think you could make a case for a prior relationship in that Gene is a director on a board that represents the membership of KCBS. If you are a KCBS member, he's representing you I imagine it would be difficult to say in a court of law that there was no relationship.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Except that he didn't acquire the eMail addresses through that relationship, and that's where the exception comes from. Honestly, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't intend to call the FTC over this, but I think he's in the wrong when it comes to spamming practices. It's really quite simple: Don't share, accept, nor use some one else's eMail address for marketing purposes unless that person gave you the eMail address. Even then, be careful if he didn't invite marketing information from you when he did.

dmp

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

it'd sure be a shame for someone to go to jail or face a fine when all the other person had to do was "delete". in fact mark it as spam when deleting and no more emails will go in your inbox.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #36
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Just beause "you" don't mind when some one disrespects your privacy and breaks the law doesn't mean that no one else should. Sure I could just waste my time on some one else's disrespect, or I could hope that person learns and stops doing it. Why should I put up with some one else who is in the wrong just because "you" say it's okay?

dmp

The "you" was a general case. Not trying to single out any one in particular.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #37
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

I will post this here one time, I didn't try to get an advantage over any other candidate, I used contacts from my database in my own computer, (this means I have received an e-mail from them first) and from an organizer that I rep most of their contests, almost everyone who was contacted I have met with or coresponded with through e-mail.... there will be a few I am unsure about, most of the people who have stated that I did something underhanded to, i have an e-mail or personal knowledge of corespondence with, or have met them, I didn't go out and buy e-mail lists or get them from KCBS or look all over the internet for, i sent 2600 e-mails to those who either new me or as I said before had an in common e-mail or meeting of or with.....I hope that this clears it all up to everyone's satisfaction... I even sent many to people not involved in BBQ as most of this was sent from my regular contact list in Outlook.

I do have to say, I have a lot of respect for the others candidates running who could have slammed me on this, they were very professional and fair

Sorry if it has offended anyone....
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

As a CIO of a college, I deal with spam issues frequently. We easily block 65% of our mail traffic as spam. But I am just curious - of those of you who were upset with receiving the email (I received it, too), how many would have been upset had that same message been delivered by snail mail?

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihrer View Post
of those of you who were upset with receiving the email (I received it, too), how many would have been upset had that same message been delivered by snail mail?
I did not receive this eMail, but I dislike all forms of junk mail, especially compaign junk-mail. I'm even one of those jerks who takes every piece of junk mail he gets with a "receiver pays shipping" return envelope and I send it back to them as heavy and bulky as I can make it. Usually I just rip up and return to them what they sent me.

As much as I hate junk mail though, I hate spam even more. I've tried to rationalize it myself, and the best reason I've come up with is that at least when something is sent via snail-mail, the sender has to pay for it. Sending junk in eMail wastes my time and is free.

You asked....

dmp

Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #40
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

I just looked at the KCBS privacy policy. Here are two key statements:

We may also provide your personally identifiable information and/or reports to authorized and officially recognized sponsors of KCBS for their use in connection with membership benefits or independent marketing efforts. These third-parties may send you email relating to their products and/or services. If you do not want to receive information from such sponsors, you will be given an opportunity to opt out of the program.

And;

Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard against unauthorized disclosures of information, we cannot assure you that personally identifiable information that is collected will never be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with this Privacy Policy.

My guess is that most officially recognized sponsors have all of our email addresses. I have no way of knowing if KCBS has checked to see what their privacy policy is prior to sending out our emails (if they actually do this).

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #41
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Just beause "you" don't mind when some one disrespects your privacy and breaks the law doesn't mean that no one else should. Sure I could just waste my time on some one else's disrespect, or I could hope that person learns and stops doing it. Why should I put up with some one else who is in the wrong just because "you" say it's okay?

dmp

The "you" was a general case. Not trying to single out any one in particular.
I don't mean to disrepect your opinion and you have every right to feel that way and I would not hold that against you or anyone. people have different view on things all the time, it's what makes the world go around.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I did not receive this eMail, but I dislike all forms of junk mail, especially compaign junk-mail. I'm even one of those jerks who takes every piece of junk mail he gets with a "receiver pays shipping" return envelope and I send it back to them as heavy and bulky as I can make it. Usually I just rip up and return to them what they sent me.

As much as I hate junk mail though, I hate spam even more. I've tried to rationalize it myself, and the best reason I've come up with is that at least when something is sent via snail-mail, the sender has to pay for it. Sending junk in eMail wastes my time and is free.

You asked....

dmp

Thank you. Like I said, I am curious because personally the stuff that comes in the snail mail box doesn't bother me as much even though it is more troublesome for me to dispose of. I think our disdain for SPAM through email stems from the computer viruses that were disseminated that way and the days were email storage space was much more limited. My personal issue with it (other than I have to deal with it as part of my job) is that I am not the best a cleaning up my mailbox. I freaks my daughter out that I have 7000 unread messages in my inbox.

While the email we received from Gene was unsolicited, I looked at it in the same vein as the hundreds of campaign flyers I receive prior to an election. Some I read with mild interest and some I just trash.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
I will post this here one time, I didn't try to get an advantage over any other candidate, I used contacts from my database in my own computer, (this means I have received an e-mail from them first) and from an organizer that I rep most of their contests, almost everyone who was contacted I have met with or coresponded with through e-mail.... there will be a few I am unsure about, most of the people who have stated that I did something underhanded to, i have an e-mail or personal knowledge of corespondence with, or have met them, I didn't go out and buy e-mail lists or get them from KCBS or look all over the internet for, i sent 2600 e-mails to those who either new me or as I said before had an in common e-mail or meeting of or with.....I hope that this clears it all up to everyone's satisfaction... I even sent many to people not involved in BBQ as most of this was sent from my regular contact list in Outlook.

I do have to say, I have a lot of respect for the others candidates running who could have slammed me on this, they were very professional and fair

Sorry if it has offended anyone....
I'll bite, I received the email, and i really don't think i know you from Adam, its possible i do? since your so willing to use information you collected perhaps we can discuss where you got my information? I happen to use a different email for bbq and it was sent to my main address, personally im curious where it came from. Do you have a list of comps you are associated with on the east coast?

On a side note I hope everyone can see this stuff backfires, If i knew you and i was interested i would know you needed my vote, if you have to tell me that means it was spam, and i would vote againt you just for principal.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

I know that I have seen your team name, I would guess that it would be Wildwook NJ or Seaside Heights NJ, it could also have been Ocean City NJ or one that I did in Pa.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

Just looked it up, it is Seaside heights NJ, I still rep that contest, it was myself and Murray Saltzman that repped one year that you were there and with Preston and myself the next.....looked it up on the results page of KCBS you were there 2 of the years that I was the rep.