• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rub suggestions for bulk use

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I need some suggestions on what to do for bulk amounts of rub. I buy a few Brethern rubs in bulk packs but I'm having trouble with cost management once I factor in the freight etc. Do you guys make your own or is there a better way thanks?

How close to Ventura are you? Simply Marvelous is there - you might be able to pick up orders and save on shipping.

We sell our rub in bulk 5# jugs and could even do bulk 25# boxes if needed.

We are located in Temecula. Also Ryan with the Rub Co is close to you as is Simply Marveous in Venture.

Pete

Pete's Firehouse BBQ
Temecula, CA

I buy Smoking Guns Hot in #25 box for $100 plus delivery. Delivery is $15-20.

Thank you to all who posted in this thread it really helps. For those who don't know me personally I am new to catering and still finding my way.

I need some suggestions on what to do for bulk amounts of rub. I buy a few Brethern rubs in bulk packs but I'm having trouble with cost management once I factor in the freight etc. Do you guys make your own or is there a better way thanks?

Are you catering and need a bunch or are you competing. In either case flavor is more important than pricing. I know that freight is a pain in the a-- but if it is what you want then either try to do it yourself or pay the price.

I make my own because my name is on the line for catering customers and competition. There are lots of commercial rubs out there on the West Coast that are good so order samples from them all until you find what you want.

I'm all about the Spicewine range for catering baby!

I've been making my own rubs for home cooking (usual load 2 butts, one brisket, then four racks of St Louis spares) for about ten years now, never bothered with any commercial rubs. Now that I am thinking about doing larger cooks and maybe going commercial I am wondering about my rubs but I hope to keep experimentation to a minimum. Maybe you all can help me with a few of the early decisions.

1) I always use freshly cracked black pepper. Anybody know if that is worth the effort?

2) I use a different rub for ribs than for butts. Does it really matter?

3) Chile powder, does anybody care? I used to make my own by grinding up dried chiles, toasting and grinding cumin, what a pain. Lots easier to just buy McCormick's. And, if it is just cayenne and cumin and salt, which are already in the recipe for the rub, then why bother?

I guess I am hoping that some grizzled veteran will tell me yeah, all those fancy rubs are bs, just use salt and pepper and sugar and cumin and cayenne out of those biga55 plastic jars from Costco. I am going to do at least one cook with some barebones rubs but I hope to get a little advice first

I hope that you don't make the mistake I've seen countless times. Starting off with a great seasoning or flavor profile and a few months later, the so called salesman that handles everything says, hey I can sell you that very same stuff for a dirt cheap price, all the time the owner is thinking save money, says yes and products suffer and customers don't bother coming back. Your flavor profile is what hooks, keeps and grows your core business. Also, there is a very good reason that top rub companies sell tons of the stuff, it's fantastic right out of the package. One can make exellent homeade rubs at home, but personally don't have the time or knowledge to experiment, nor do I want to. Just me. My point is choose the best, based on a wide honest range of critics, not just you, and keep it once you find what you want to serve everyday. Then define which ones work on which products the best or are you going to use just one? More variables than meets the eye. Good luck. Steve.

Last edited:
What rub companies are close to Chicago? looking for a supplier closer to me to save on freight charges as well. Pm me if needed.

Thanks!

Back