3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 TBS sugar
1 cup white wine
3 TBS tomato paste
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
olive oil

Chop the onion and pepper, add to a heated pot with the olive oil. Let it cook for about 5 minutes being careful not to burn the onion. Add the wine and tomato paste. Let it cook until the wine has reduced to about half. Add the tomatoes, broth,garlic, and clam juice along with the herbs (thyme, bay leaf), salt, pepper, sugar. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check the seasoning. Does it need salt? Would a little more sugar reduce any bitterness from the tomatoes? Adjust seasoning as needed. Let it simmer for about another 15 minutes then remove the bay leaf from the pot.

From there, you can add any kind of seafood you like. I used cod, scallops, crab, and shrimp. Keep in mind that the seafood cooks quickly and at different times. So, I added the scallops and cod first, then after about 3 minutes I added the shrimp and crab. After about 3 or 4 more minutes, it was done.

Last edited:
i'm with you dude! don't really dig the bi-valves. your version of that dish looks great if you didn't alreay say, how did you do the broth?

A little factoid, it is native to San Francisco, although it traces its roots back to both the Italian and Portuguese fisherman that worked the San Francisco Bay. Although it is usually seasoned with mussels and clams (which were very common in the docks back then) it only requires that it be the catch of the day, usually what was not sold, or sale-able. Most often, rock cod, clams, mussels, perch and occasionally squid are the base of the cioppino. The best places would add in baby octopus, Dungeness crab, even crayfish.

The biggest difference between this, and say a Bouillabaisse, Cuippine or Portuguese Fisherman's stew is the soup base. The Ligurian and Sicilian soups often use a fish broth base, and add just a little tomato. Bouillabaisse uses a lot more saffron and the Portuguese use things such as cumin, saffron, pepper and fish for the base. The typical San Francisco recipe is rich with tomato, garlic, bay and onion, as well as a seafood broth. I love this stuff, but, cannot eat it anymore, as my allergy to mussels has gotten to the point that even if the mussels are removed, the broth will cause BAD BAD issues

A little factoid, it is native to San Francisco, although it traces its roots back to both the Italian and Portuguese fisherman that worked the San Francisco Bay. Although it is usually seasoned with mussels and clams (which were very common in the docks back then) it only requires that it be the catch of the day, usually what was not sold, or sale-able. Most often, rock cod, clams, mussels, perch and occasionally squid are the base of the cioppino. The best places would add in baby octopus, Dungeness crab, even crayfish.

The biggest difference between this, and say a Bouillabaisse, Cuippine or Portuguese Fisherman's stew is the soup base. The Ligurian and Sicilian soups often use a fish broth base, and add just a little tomato. Bouillabaisse uses a lot more saffron and the Portuguese use things such as cumin, saffron, pepper and fish for the base. The typical San Francisco recipe is rich with tomato, garlic, bay and onion, as well as a seafood broth. I love this stuff, but, cannot eat it anymore, as my allergy to mussels has gotten to the point that even if the mussels are removed, the broth will cause BAD BAD issues

Thanks, bro, I love reading about the history of it!

:becky:
It happens!
Specially here...:laugh:

You would think it was an Italian dish, from the name, but it is actually a San Francisco dish, with Mediterranean influences. There is a longstanding Italian neighborhood in San Fran. I'm sure that influenced the dish.

If you love fresh seafood, cooked quickly and naturally, it is a fantastic meal. To me, it is a summer meal. It is a meal I like with a good, crisp white wine on a summer evening. That and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

It is just the right time of year for you.

CD

You would think it was an Italian dish, from the name, but it is actually a San Francisco dish, with Mediterranean influences. There is a longstanding Italian neighborhood in San Fran. I'm sure that influenced the dish.

If you love fresh seafood, cooked quickly and naturally, it is a fantastic meal. To me, it is a summer meal. It is a meal I like with a good, crisp white wine on a summer evening. That and some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

It is just the right time of year for you.

CD
Most of that neighborhood is gone, called North Beach, it was the heart of the Italian community. It originally anchored the northern shore of the City, from the Presidio to around Pier 33 or so. Most of the docks in that area, whether fishing or freight were run by Italians and Portuguese. On the southern end of that, were the produce markets, as Italians ran those as well. At one point, up until around 1970, the heart of fine dining and fine food ran through this part of the City. I think it is still one of the best places to wander if you love food, there is simply not a bad place on Columbus or for blocks around.

First off, it was great seeing/meeting you here in the SF Bay Area. Wish you coulda stayed a little longer but I know that work does get in the way!
Your cioppino looks great. I pretty much love everything offered up from the sea.
Coincidentally, I had Cioppino at the Clam Hopper last night in Monterey (Cannery Row), Ca with my 91 year old mother. I go there once a month to visit her/check on her and we got out to dinner and get the locals menu. Truly awesome. A really good Cioppino(leftovers for lunch today) with garlic bread, your choice of a big fresh salad and dessert for ..... $19.95
Guess, I 'll be back next month....

I'm not a fan of clams, mussels, or oysters, Very tasty and my GF wife loved it!

picture.php

Thanks for looking!

Color me confused. You say you're not a fan of clams, mussels or oysters, yet you had your GF AND your WIFE at the same table? Big cojones brother, and I think you like clam more than you admit.

Color me confused. You say you're not a fan of clams, mussels or oysters, yet you had your GF AND your WIFE at the same table? Big cojones brother, and I think you like clam more than you admit.

:laugh: GF is short for gluten free.

First off, it was great seeing/meeting you here in the SF Bay Area. Wish you coulda stayed a little longer but I know that work does get in the way!
Your cioppino looks great. I pretty much love everything offered up from the sea.
Coincidentally, I had Cioppino at the Clam Hopper last night in Monterey (Cannery Row), Ca with my 91 year old mother. I go there once a month to visit her/check on her and we got out to dinner and get the locals menu. Truly awesome. A really good Cioppino(leftovers for lunch today) with garlic bread, your choice of a big fresh salad and dessert for ..... $19.95
Guess, I 'll be back next month....

That sounds like a great time with your mother! I wish I could have spent more time with you guys too. But, it was great meeting you! And, $19.95 for some good cioppino is a great deal.

Love cioppino! My favorite is Phill's Fish Market in Half Moon Bay California. It's the guy that's been on Food Network a bunch of times.

Back