thawing butts

tjv

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Other than running under water is there a quick way to thaw a package of butts. I've had them in the fridge for two days and still rock hard.....thanks T

running water is the safest way to thaw them and probably the fastest

i guess you could try microwaving them but seems silly as you will be cooking the outside of the meat instead of just thawing it.

running water is the safest way to thaw them and probably the fastest

i guess you could try microwaving them but seems silly as you will be cooking the outside of the meat instead of just thawing it.

Running water is the trick.
I have been known to put them in a cooler, all by themselves.
Just monitor the temp so they do not go above 40.

Bur, running water is the way to go---5 gal can and a water hose works--just monitor meat temp!

TIM

The micro cooks from the inside out.

Tom, I've been known to throw a couple of frozen butts and briskets in the bathtub with running water.

Ty

thanks for the responses. any chance throwing them on the egg still frozen or is that too long in the danger temp zone.....T

I like to place one under each armpit and just wander around the yard. NUTZ

Running water is the trick.
I have been known to put them in a cooler, all by themselves.
Just monitor the temp so they do not go above 40.

Bur, running water is the way to go---5 gal can and a water hose works--just monitor meat temp!

TIM

Concur with the Master--unn, The Kapn. Running water is best and safest.
Micro will work with a little management. use 20 or 30 percent power, if you do not have auto defrost that works. set small increments of time and moniter process.
As Dr. KY pointed out, microwaves work from inside out.

For big hunks of meat, I much prefer the running water, 5 gallon bucket and hose method.

If they are cryovaced then putting in a cooler of water and changing the water every hour is a great way to thaw them out. About 4 to 5 hours and they are ready to smoke.

To repeat what most have said, putting them in the fridge on Tuesday morning for a Friday/Saturday smoke is what I generally do. Soaking overnight in water works well enough for a quick thaw too. If you can't do either of those, might I suggest about 6 minutes in the micro, 40% power, 2 minutes at a time, turning every two minutes, then soak in water. The micro will thaw out the middle some, and the water the outside.

dmp

Back