MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
nthole
Babbling Farker

Default Chicken Turn-in

So out of curiosity, minus the onion used in this, could you turn this in as competition chicken? I'd be curious how this would do.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32305

If I were judging I'm not sure what sort of appearance score this gets. It certainly does look tasty. I would think texture should be pretty good.

Would what you are doing to the skin in a pan even over a charcoal grill be legal?

I think it would be interesting to try it just to see how it would get scored.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

While I'm sure the pulled chicken as prepared in the link is delicious and I'd especially love one of those sandwiches, I just can't see it performing well at contests on a consistent basis.

Not worth it IMO.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Vinny... looks awesome but not for comps. In this particular time in KCBS history, you turn in thighs or you get hammered almost every time with a few exceptions.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Jeff and Vinny pulled chicken is a sign you burned your skin or over cooked your chicken at a contest. just my .02
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

We actually tried it twice, not because it was burnt, we wanted to be different. didnt do well/didnt do really bad either. I think judges are "trained" to look for thighs and all else doesnt have the eye apeal.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

They're not exactly 'trained' to look for thighs, but it is what MOST people turn in.

If you dare to be different... be prepared, and TELL YOUR REP AHEAD OF TIME.
(DAL mod ~ I speak from experience)

Although, there are a few teams up here that are turning in wings or even drums, and I have heard there was a slight comeback with breasts. I am not sure how they scored, you'd have to ask them, or maybe they will chime in...

It's all in how well you cook them, IMO.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

as a judge chicken is one you got to be sure it is cooked so i would most likey not taste it because the sauce hides if is cooked or not

Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
They're not exactly 'trained' to look for thighs, but it is what MOST people turn in.

If you dare to be different... be prepared, and TELL YOUR REP AHEAD OF TIME.
(DAL mod ~ I speak from experience)

Although, there are a few teams up here that are turning in wings or even drums, and I have heard there was a slight comeback with breasts. I am not sure how they scored, you'd have to ask them, or maybe they will chime in...

It's all in how well you cook them, IMO.
I did drums last time out. What a mistake.... they in my opinion, turned out great... everyone I let try them loved them....BUT, the judges didn't. Out of 42 teams, mine came in 42nd..... I guess drums didn't do as good and the thighs.

I did them as I normally do thighs, which come in usually in the middle of the pack. Not the drums. So, back to thighs for me. Stay with the "standard". Don't go against the judging standard. My opinion for what it is worth.

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitan View Post
as a judge chicken is one you got to be sure it is cooked so i would most likey not taste it because the sauce hides if is cooked or not
Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it is cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA

Last edited by jtfisher63; 01-13-2008 at 09:54 PM..
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?
Agreed. I've never seen a thigh turn-in box that I could tell was "cooked" all the way through. For all I know it's a raw piece of chicken under a grilled skin. If you're a judge and you won't eat a sauced piece of meat because you're afraid that's hiding whether it's cooked or not stop judging. All you'd have to do is take the piece and tear it and you'd know if it was cooked!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a thought as a relatively new judge 6 contest I was not trained to look for any piece of chicken just shown what to look for and would judge your chicken fairly. That said as a judge there is a lot of personal opinion in judging and a lot of I've done it this way for x years and that is the rule (not it isn't it is a personal preference) so competition must know the foundation of judges. I would not mind seeing (I hear the groans) a discussion on BBQ and what the real rules should be (I do not put lettuce on my BBQ so why should I display it on a bead of lettuce and not a bed of slaw?) etc.
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitan View Post
I do believe if you were to post your CBJ # the KCBS would be interested in pulling your certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Huh? Are you saying that at a contest that you are judging, you wouldn't taste pulled sauced chicken because you don't know if it is cooked? If so, how do you determine that any of the chicken you try is cooked through?
I think the majority of judges still trust the cooks and take a bite. Worst case if red juice somes out and you spit. But I have heard of many judges now tearing the chicken meat off the bone before starting to eat it. It only takes a few idiots turning in undercooked chicken to get judges doing stuff like this.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I turn in shredded chicken all the time and it scores very well

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I have only judged on comp so I certainly am not the voice of experience. At the one I did though one box had a bunch of pulled chicken with the thighs on top. It was a very nice looking box and I scored it highly. The thigh and the pulled meat were both good. I noticed that every judge at the table took some of the pulled meat.

I'm not sure I would do just pulled meat at a comp as that is a little too far out on the limb in my opinion, but I wouldn't hesitate to do pulled meat as a base.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

unfortunately a lot of judges are very suspicious of anything different..meaning anything out of the norm must mean you screwed something up in the cooking process therefore you must be covering up which is a shame because thats NOT whats taught in the CBJ classes. Everything is suppose to be judged on its own merits. because of this line of thinking that ive seen at judges tables I would not turn in pulled chicken.
billm is offline   Reply With Quote