MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #46
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinin614 View Post
Alright Brethren... What's the longest period of time you've ever rested a bird after taking it off the smoker? I usually let'em rest for about 45 min loosely foiled on the countertop, but this year I have to travel across town to the parents house...So I am stuck, trying to finish the cook and not be rushed. I've been BBQ'n long enough to realize that one of the worst things you can do is rush a cook. It will be wrapped, and placed in a cooler immediately after pulling it.
This past spring, I did one that ended up being done WAY earlier than I planned......mainly because I'd let the smoker temp get way up to 450! Anyway, it was done in 2 hours and I still hadn't made the taters, gravy and other sides. If I recall, I held in in the pan, foiled for about 2 hours and it was still nice and hot when I carved it. You should be fine.

If you are coolering it, you should REALLY be OK. I'm assuming you're gonna carve it when you get where you're going? That's what I would do if it were me.

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #47
Lazy H
Found some matches.

smoked a couple of turkey's before, but since i been really gittin' into the smokin' thang', built my custom job on a trailer, i been doin a little more research and am actually brining some this year. got em on now, will know later. ive heard about it before but seemed like a lot of work, but i guess i'll see....

Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #48
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
This past spring, I did one that ended up being done WAY earlier than I planned......mainly because I'd let the smoker temp get way up to 450! Anyway, it was done in 2 hours and I still hadn't made the taters, gravy and other sides. If I recall, I held in in the pan, foiled for about 2 hours and it was still nice and hot when I carved it. You should be fine.

If you are coolering it, you should REALLY be OK. I'm assuming you're gonna carve it when you get where you're going? That's what I would do if it were me.
Thanks for the response

Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #49
moda253
On the road to being a farker

I'm going to be smoking a bird this year but don't have the turkey cannon. So I was wondering if anyone sees a problem with doing the orange lemon and onion stuffing and trussing and putting it on the smoker?
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #50
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post
I'm going to be smoking a bird this year but don't have the turkey cannon. So I was wondering if anyone sees a problem with doing the orange lemon and onion stuffing and trussing and putting it on the smoker?
That's EXACTLY what I've done in past years. I just cut a lemon, onion and orange in half, stuff them into the cavity, truss it up and SMOKE AWAY!

They turn out great! Here's one I did a couple of years ago that way....

Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #51
moda253
On the road to being a farker

Thanks man. I'm all set to go for tomorrow
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #52
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

my wife got a free turkey this year and it's in an 8% solution of turkey broth, salt.....

I'm going back and forth on wether I should skip the brine or not, I will be smoking the bird if that helps with any advice.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #53
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanchu View Post
my wife got a free turkey this year and it's in an 8% solution of turkey broth, salt.....

I'm going back and forth on wether I should skip the brine or not, I will be smoking the bird if that helps with any advice.
Check this thread out.....
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=120732

I've got a 9.5% enhanced turkey in the brine right now. Read the thread above and you'll see that the short answer is: BRINE IT!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #54
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Think ill try something new this year. I like mixing up techniques. Im thinking ill try smoking it for about an hour with a generous amount of cherry wood then drop it in the fryer.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #55
Wampus

Interesting......

Let us know how that turns out. I'm curious how this will go!

Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #56
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

G'Day Brothers... I went to my meatatarium today to see if they had any fresh Turkeys. No Farkin' Dice. They had nothin but frozen marinated birds. I am NOT getting those. I'm going to another place I know tomorrow which may have them, but we shall see. I wanna brine and smoke my own on the Bullet Bill.

BTW, have not read the previous posts yet, but I shall. So much to learn.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #57
tomrip
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

thanks, i smoked my first turkey, we are getting ready to eat it. ill be back with pictures and results.
tomrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #58
mfindell
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default This Forum Inspired a Masterpiece....

Today was a test of my budding desire to learn to be the grill master at our house....this (used) to be my husbands title but I think I am going to claim it...LOL.
I grilled a 14 lb. turkey after soaking it over night in an apple cider brine. I stuffed it with apples and onions before basting it with butter and shaking on some poultry seasoning. I put some chicken broth and extra brine in the pan and grilled for 3.5 hours. I added briquetts about every hour. The flavor was the best turkey we have ever had and was by far the moistest. I am quite pleased with myself.

Thanks for all the inspiration and I look forward to learning more from you guys.
mfindell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #59
Gilroy Pots
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

well... The first turkey came out better . the apple juice soak worked well. Should have cooked the turkey leg side to the heat .the wind and storm hit just as the weather man said it would so the legs were finished in the oven. BBQ foul I know Everybody still loved it . Party saved !
Gilroy Pots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #60
snapper
Found some matches.

Default Thanks

Great advice, will be doing this in UK for Xmas
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote