Wings for a chicken turn in?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I like to think, and so many a recipient of my smoked wings has said, that I make some pretty tasty wings. That said, I see most of the professional teams turning in chicken thighs. My initital thoughts were maybe warmth and juciness, and flavor from the fat as factors, but that is just me guessing. Would anyone mind providing some guideance on the reasoning behind this. Do judges actually deduct based on which piece you provide?

Thanks!

First off, you're entering a non-sanctioned event, yes? All bets are off. Wings could easily win an ancillary chicken contest.

KCBS (and many others) will judge on 3 criteria: Appearance, Tenderness/Texture, and Taste

It's almost impossible to have a perfectly cooked breast, drumstick, or wing compete day in and day out in tenderness with a thigh. That's why 95%+ use thighs.

. My initital thoughts were maybe warmth and juciness, and flavor from the fat as factors, but that is just me guessing.

I think you pretty much have it figured out.

No deductions made based on what piece you provide. Thighs are just the most common for the reasons you mentioned, plus they are relatively forgiving to cook.

First off, you're entering a non-sanctioned event, yes?

The event is actually KCBS sanctioned, but since this is my first ever sojourn into the world of competition I'm enetering the backyard cooks division which requires turning in ribs and chicken.

There are some good teams that win lots with chicken wings. JUst cause you hear that most teams do something, that does not mean all teams do and that the ones that don't are not winning doing it. Cook wings if that is what you are good at.

Big Mike

There are some good teams that win lots with chicken wings. JUst cause you hear that most teams do something, that does not mean all teams do and that the ones that don't are not winning doing it. Cook wings if that is what you are good at.

Big Mike

I, for one would love to know some of the good teams who have won a chicken catagory in a KCBS contest using chicken wings.

I've read about a few teams that do fairly well with drumsticks, but I dont know that I've ever heard of anyone consistently placing high in chicken with wings...

I'd be interested to see what a very seasoned KCBS judge has to say. Meaning, how often do wings come across the table, and how do they fare?

I, for one would love to know some of the good teams who have won a chicken catagory in a KCBS contest using chicken wings.

me too. OP, do a search with wings and my handle. there was a pretty extensive thread regarding the topic. bottom line i took was, I LIKE WINGS, but, i'll TURN IN thighs.

I've seen wings show up as a chicken entry at my table once in five years. Unfortunately, they weren't very good ones -- dry, a little burnt, poorly arranged for appearance.

Wings have a low meat to bone ratio and are hard to keep from getting overcooked (no one cares when you slather on a lot of sauce for use as an appetizer).

As mentioned above, thighs are easy to trim attractively, deal well with a little overcooking, and have natural chicken flavor that carries through even when over-sauced.

If you want to win, do thighs. If you want to have fun, try the wings. As a judge I admire creativity and don't pre-judge based on what the chunk of bird is. If wings are tasty, moist, and not over-seasoned they'll stand a chance of a good score but you've got to know you're bucking a huge trend. Good luck!

Big Mike

We are still waiting to hear of the names of the good teams who have won a chicken catagory in a KCBS contest using chicken wings. I have a feeling it will be a list with nobody on it.

We are still waiting to hear of the names of the good teams who have won a chicken catagory in a KCBS contest using chicken wings. I have a feeling it will be a list with nobody on it.

Chicken wings + thighs, I know a couple teams. Just chicken wings? None that I know of.

IMG_2722.jpg

I called it "Doing the wrong thing, the right way" They were dead on. Scored lower top 3rd out of around 70. Will not do again, Had to know...

BTW this is my first post, lurking for a while. Jason Kreigh of Fowl Butt BBQ

IMG_2722.jpg

I called it "Doing the wrong thing, the right way" They were dead on. Scored lower top 3rd out of around 70. Will not do again, Had to know...

BTW this is my first post, lurking for a while. Jason Kreigh of Fowl Butt BBQ

Welcome!!!:clap2:

Judged one fantastic entry this past weekend that was wings + thighs. It was easily the one I scored the highest. I obviously have no idea where that entry ended up placing, but in my opinion it deserved a top 5 at least.

3rd place Chicken at the PNWBA Spring Training in Kent, WA.

Last edited:
Back