BBQ Brethren "Summer 2012 Olympics" Throwdown!

Last edited:
With me working hard from my smoker control center
IMG_0085.jpg

Hey, you're drinking a homemade Dark'n'Stormy! (For those that haven't been to Bermuda it's a canned beverage made from ginger beer and Gosling's dark rum.) I was going to feature a homemade Dark'n'Stormy in my olympic entry, too!

Hey, you cooked Jamaican, I'm cooking Jamaican, too.

Are we twins? :icon_cool

I quit smoking tobacco 12 years ago so I'll have to find something else to smoke. :mrgreen:

Xin vui lòng chấp nhận điều này như việc thâm nhập của tôi vào trong này Throwdown!

OK, in case Google Translate got it wrong, I'm trying to say "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown!" in Vietnamese as the competing country that my dish represents is Vietnam.

In international themed Throwdowns, my past Indian & Japanese inspired dishes have done pretty poorly so why not continue the trend in the east and go with Vietnam? :crazy:

I often have a dish at the local Pho restaurant called Bún Thịt Nướng (BBQ Pork w/Vermicelli) which actually uses grilled pork but I thought I'd substitute pulled pork as I had a butt that needed to be cooked.

So just after Midnight I put the butt on the Large Egg and let it smoke over some hickory & cherry wood:

IMG_2325.jpg

After a couple of hours of smoke, I bumped up the temp on the Stoker and went to bed. After about an 8 1/2 hr cook, the butt was ready to come off and rest in a cooler until I was ready to prep for lunch:

IMG_2345.jpg

A few hours later I gathered these ingredients for the Nuoc Cham sauce(red boat fish sauce, sugar, water, lime juice, garlic, thai chili, and a shallot):

IMG_2370.jpg

Nuoc Cham with all of the ingredients mixed in:

IMG_2392.jpg

From there I moved on to prepping the veggies (carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce):

IMG_2390.jpg

Into a bowl went some rice vermicelli topped with the carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce, and drizzled with some Nouc Cham sauce:

IMG_2395.jpg

I took the pork out of the cooler and started pulling it:

IMG_2371.jpg

and it topped the bowl:

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

Everything was tossed to mix everything together and then the eating began!

Please use the last pic as for the TD Vote Thread.

Hey, you're drinking a homemade Dark'n'Stormy! (For those that haven't been to Bermuda it's a canned beverage made from ginger beer and Gosling's dark rum.) I was going to feature a homemade Dark'n'Stormy in my olympic entry, too!

I lived there for a few years. Dark'n'Stormys are my warm weather drink.

Are we twins? :icon_cool

That depends.. Are you incredibly good looking, like me? :tongue:

Thanks Kathy, never heard of darknstormies.
I LOVE ginger beer and drinking rum is a job requirement so gotta try it!

Great Steak

Great Steak hope it tasted as good as it looked.

Descriptive

Very good on the description, nice looking dish.

Xin vui lòng chấp nhận điều này như việc thâm nhập của tôi vào trong này Throwdown!

OK, in case Google Translate got it wrong, I'm trying to say "Please accept this as my entry into this Throwdown!" in Vietnamese as the competing country that my dish represents is Vietnam.

In international themed Throwdowns, my past Indian & Japanese inspired dishes have done pretty poorly so why not continue the trend in the east and go with Vietnam? :crazy:

I often have a dish at the local Pho restaurant called Bún Thịt Nướng (BBQ Pork w/Vermicelli) which actually uses grilled pork but I thought I'd substitute pulled pork as I had a butt that needed to be cooked.

So just after Midnight I put the butt on the Large Egg and let it smoke over some hickory & cherry wood:

IMG_2325.jpg

After a couple of hours of smoke, I bumped up the temp on the Stoker and went to bed. After about an 8 1/2 hr cook, the butt was ready to come off and rest in a cooler until I was ready to prep for lunch:

IMG_2345.jpg

A few hours later I gathered these ingredients for the Nuoc Cham sauce(red boat fish sauce, sugar, water, lime juice, garlic, thai chili, and a shallot):

IMG_2370.jpg

Nuoc Cham with all of the ingredients mixed in:

IMG_2392.jpg

From there I moved on to prepping the veggies (carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce):

IMG_2390.jpg

Into a bowl went some rice vermicelli topped with the carrots, cucumber, mint, romaine lettuce, and drizzled with some Nouc Cham sauce:

IMG_2395.jpg

I took the pork out of the cooler and started pulling it:

IMG_2371.jpg

and it topped the bowl:

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

Everything was tossed to mix everything together and then the eating began!

Please use the last pic as for the TD Vote Thread.

Here is my "Official Entry" for the Olympic TD

For this TD, I started with marinading a "LONDON" Broil for two days, in Thomas Marinade and Extra Virgin Olive Oil for this great display of Pron.
Other ingredients: Eggplant, White Onions, Green Bell Peppers, Assorted baby Bell Peppers, Smoked thick Bacon, Portabella Mushrooms, Yellow Squash, Wild Rice, Corn, Asparagus and of course English Muffins. All for this salute to London for being the city chosen for the 2012 Olympic Games.

View attachment 69153
The Two Day Marinading
View attachment 69154
The Ingredients ready to go!
View attachment 69155
The Tribute to the Olympic Eternal Flame
View attachment 69156
The making of the Rings, White Onions soaked in the proper colors of the Olympic, used grilled eggplant for the Black ring,
View attachment 69157
Grilled most veggies with Olive oil and Spices and Lemon Pepper.
View attachment 69158
The British Dept of Ag....prime beef London Broil, Ok maybe USDA prime beef.
View attachment 69159
Torch pieces grill'n, Wrapped the Aspargus in thick bacon, rolled in dark brown sugar. This was awesome and used as the handle to the Torch you will see later.
View attachment 69160
The Branding just so you understand.
View attachment 69161
The London Brand of Beef
View attachment 69162
Golden Skillet Grilled Corn
View attachment 69163
Torch parts for the build
View attachment 69164
The Torch made out of 1 green bell pepper, Flame portion is baby red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, a portabella mushroom (to keep any oil from running on your hand as you carry this torch to the lighting of he Olympic flame.
View attachment 69165
Please Mr. Bigamus Bitus, use this as my voting pic.

The Final Tribute to London, you will see the London Broil slices on a bed of English Wild Rice Risotto surrounded by grilled English Muffins and the golden grilled yellow squash and the golden skillet grilled corn depicting only Gold of course.

"Burning for the Gold because Silver or Bronze just isn't good enough!!!."

Enjoy!!! I sure did, I put together an English Muffin Sandwich and this was Farking Outstanding, only regret is was I had to take it apart to eat....yeah right. It was absolutely Pronographic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I have jerk chicken marinating in the fridge. Might have to switch it up

Back