MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Stratuslowrider
Found some matches.

Default First time doing a Pork Loin

This is last Sunday's dinner. I had been home all week after totalling my car Nov 9th and decided it was time to get off the couch and smoke something. With the wife being 5 months pregnant with twins, she has not wanted any chicken or beef of late. So while shopping I mentioned we could do a pork loin, since I had never done one and they were relatively quick to do. So we spend some time finding a nice 3.38lb one at meijer, get home and I start to prep it, when I find out it wasnt one whole pork loin, but rather two seperate pork loins. I slathered the wifes with some old yellow mustard, then covered mine in some Frank's Red Hot BBQ sauce and into the fridge for an hour or so.

Decided to use a rub mix of McCormicks Pork Rub, Applewood Rub, Brown Sugar, and some Rosemary. I did a did add some Fiery 5 pepper to mine for some extra heat.

A little blurry, but rub is on.

Cooked them at 250 with some Mesquite mixed in. Decided to skip the water pan and forgot to spray with apple juice as well. I foiled the wifes after 1.5 hours and let her go for another 40 minutes, before un-foiling for another 30 minutes. (I had planned on foiling for longer, but my temp prob was showing awful close to 170, so I pulled it early)

Here they are ready for a short resting period, while the mashed taters and corn are finishing up. Outside temp was in the low 60's with a nice northerly wind, figured I would have a heck of time with temp on the Chargriller, but I used one full unlit chimney and a 3/4 chimney of lit for the whole cook.

Here is the wifes sliced up for her. Extremely moist and tender, was pleasantly surprised.

Here is mine, a little dry, but still looking good. Not sure if spraying would of helped any, may just foil them both next time.

Final plate shot

Overall it was an a great meal. For the first time I didnt sauce them on the grill and they didnt really need any sauce. I did notice that my wifes seem to take on more of the smoke than mine did, but they still had the right amount of smoke. Even our 2 year old son gobbled up 3 slices of pork loin and this from a kid who is pickey about what meat he eats, plus the wife enjoyed it. Next time round might glaze one or stuff one too.
Stratuslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

This looks great. I'm glad things worked out for you. Just for future reference, you are actually cooking tenderloin. The loin would be much bigger. Another thing to consider, cook your tenderloin to 140-150 and then let rest. Cooking it above 160 will start to dry it out as you noticed. Great job.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote