%!(*$#& helpful spouses

crd26a

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Did a practice cook yesterday and had to dash out the door to get over to the Superbowl party. Yanked out the two stoker probes I was using and left them on the counter. Got home and crashed, off to work first thing this morning. I get home and what do I see? My probes soaking in water. Both ends (yes, the one with the control chips and LED as well). Yank them out and waters just filling the probe cavities. :icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed:icon_pissed

Blow the water out, let them sit, plug them in. LED's power up, good deal, check temps. 1st one reads -49 then 939 degrees. Second one read 723 degrees.

Well, there went $70 to good intentions.:icon_sad:icon_sad

Wives are like children...if you wanna keep YOUR toys safe, keep em away from the wife or kids. LOL

Let them dry for a few days. They may come back. A high reading on a thermocouple = open, or a broken wire. Erratic reading = erratic impedence, or water in the circuit. If they use thermistors, you're probably hosed. I'm no engineer, just know a little about thermocouples.

try buring the whole thing in a bowl or bag of dry white rice. I have friends who have revived ipods/iphones, and pagers using this method.

Matt

Nope, not her fault, she thought they were like any standard probe and was just being helpful. I should have taken care of it as soon as I got done, but in the rush to get out the door, didn't nor think to say anything to her.

Already in the rice, I'll double check them in the morning, but will be surprised if they make it

It could work, the rice trick has saved some electrical equipment for me. It did not save the probes I accidentally dumped into boiling wort.

Yup that is why I have the only key to the garage and the only thing in the garage is bbq related.

Do you have a food dehydrator. I have sent my cellphone thru the wash twice, put it into the dehydrator @ low for a couple of days and it is fine.

Mike

Already in the rice, I'll double check them in the morning, but will be surprised if they make it

Give it a couple of days.

My son saved his ipod this way . . . the one that was in his pocket while swimming all day!

And remember, uncooked rice works better.

Set them in the sun for a couple of days to get a good drying out and then practice the words of wisdom from Kevin.....

try buring the whole thing in a bowl or bag of dry white rice. I have friends who have revived ipods/iphones, and pagers using this method.

Matt

Agreed! This works well. Hopefully it will work for you.

Back