Hey guys how long to cook tri tip?

Fatalis

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I got mine in the uds at 370, its 2.7 pounds and I don't really want to keep taking the lid off. Should I check it after 1 hour and then sear it?

I wouldn't worry about time, always cook to temp. I'd pull it when the internal hits about 130 and let it rest a few minutes before slicing.

This is one of those times I want a digital therm stuck in the thickest part of the meat. A wireless remote with a temp limit alarm would be a plus.

Mine almost always are 45 minutes at that temp. IT should be about 130. No sear.

All above info is correct, and produces a textbook TT.

Time to ruffle some feathers. Try cooking one like a brisket. Cook one until it has an IT of 190+, and is probe tender. They're fantastic!

This topic horse has been beaten to death, but I still feel that it's a legitimate way to occasionally cook a TT. I still love a nice rare TT, but something different once in a while is nice.

Matt

All above info is correct, and produces a textbook TT.

Time to ruffle some feathers. Try cooking one like a brisket. Cook one until it has an IT of 190+, and is probe tender. They're fantastic!

This topic horse has been beaten to death, but I still feel that it's a legitimate way to occasionally cook a TT. I still love a nice rare TT, but something different once in a while is nice.

Matt
right on here.. however I seem to.just always go back to reverse sear...warm up on one side of the weber go real hot for a few minutes a side then go back to rest....I go by feel,,if I was to temp it comes in at 125 or so...and treat it like a steak.
.or make some nice slices, add a toasted roll with horse radish--slice of oinion--slice of Jalepeno pepper--mayo..sprinkle some kimelwick seeds and MMMMMMMMMMMM!
now as stated above if you go past medium, you have to go all the way to a min 190...200....otherwise ....you just wasted a great meat..

there is a fine line between tough and chewy and soft. either at a temp of around 130-140 or a longish cook till cooked through and soft. around here you will find it cooked through but still reasonably soft. i like it at 130 or so so i have never tried to cook one well done till soft.

Back