MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #31
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

I know my neighbor likes to ask what I am cooking every time I fire up any of my cookers. He openly admitted that he has a propane grill because he is impatient and would not be able to wait. He always sneaks over for a taste of whatever and swoons over it. Now that being said, most BBQ joints are crap. It is a lot easier to cook up 1 meal versus several over the entire day for a boatload of people that all like to complain that it is too smokey, not smokey enough, too spicy, not spicy enough and blah blah blah.

I always enjoy my own cooks, not just for the food, but for the time I got to spend with my smoker. I'm going through withdrawals right now. Stupid winter.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

I guess whatever they consider to be good barbecue. Out of all those guys I'm the only one with more than one pit. Whatever is is I reckon don't wanna be a bbq snob or any of that.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
As I wrote above, using a neti pot (with distilled water -- don't want any brain-eating amoebae) and brushing your teeth & tongue helps quite a bit too (in addition to showering, paying special attention to washing your hair and changing clothes).
As long as the Brain Eating Amoebae think it tastes good then it is OK.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #34
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Most people don't know crap about a lot of things.

And they don't care to learn.
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

The problem is people will follow and go to a lesser quality bbq place... because they don't know a few things. Such as where and who will provide a better product. Many don't know what better bbq taste like. Better bbq doesn't get buried in sauce.

I was one of those ignorant people, too... willing to try a place which lists bbq on their menu.

I just did not know any better... or how to do it better. This forum showed me a better way... a return to old school BBQ with countless modern tricks, techniques, and tips. Found an online fellowship to boot, too.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 01-29-2013 at 12:06 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

You know one thing about this Flat, is although I wasn't as happy with it as other ones I've done, It had nice bark on it and killer burnt edges, I think I'll start doing brethren searches for threads about hot and fast. The boys are still talking about it. Maybe there's some research to be done, from a cook that I didn't think had went well.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I share BBQ Bandits appreciation of the Brethren, that is for sure.

I do fall afoul of what most folks here believe however. I am willing to allow that good BBQ is what the person doing the eating enjoys. Plain and simple, if they enjoy eating cooked meat and loads of sauce, then more power to them, they will likely not love my BBQ, but, they love someone's BBQ and that is all that matters. I love the act of cooking, in some ways, more than the act of eating it. Most of all, I love feeding people, which rewards me a great deal. I still cook the best I can based upon my taste, but, I enjoy most when my friends and loved ones enjoy my food.

That being said, there are a couple of places out here, that serve awful meat, or mediocre meat, but, folks love the sauce. For them, that is BBQ, so be it. When one of these folks tells me they loved my ribs, but, I should go to XXX place and try their ribs, the sauce is sooo good, that is their opinion, and just as valid as my own. Who am I to tell the world what is, or is not, real BBQ?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm with Lanarc here, we all know of at least a few BBQ joints that serve up bad or below average BBQ but yet people show up in droves to eat it and love it. I think it's because that's what people are used to eating and don't know any better. This even applies to BBQ that people's friends and family cookup.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #39
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Hampton Roads area does suck for BBQ. When I started to BBQ I would hit the local joints to find a comparative baseline and discovered either I don't know Q, or I make the best bbq in the area (at least to my taste). I always found the best pulled pork in the area to be from a dive bar called Footer's sports pub. very basic East Carolina traditional style.

In regards the OP's story, I remember totally screwing up a shoulder for a poker game trying a new cooker in the middle of winter and apologizing to my guests before serving (I had to rip meat off the bone, instead the usual twist and slide) and they commented on how great it was.

So I know the feeling, but hey, next time you cook a brisket and it comes out to your standards and the same guests attend, imagine how impressed they'll be.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just know what I like
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to agree with landarc. In fact I feel its rude to tell someone what their eating is or is not good BBQ. Thats up to the one enjoying it.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I love the act of cooking, in some ways, more than the act of eating it. Most of all, I love feeding people, which rewards me a great deal. I still cook the best I can based upon my taste, but, I enjoy most when my friends and loved ones enjoy my food.
Totally agree!! Well said!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I also agree with landarc, I enjoy the act of cooking much more than eating. I am also never satisfied with my results and I'm always asking my family what I can improve on, what should I do different next time? I'm always thinking about what could be better with my Q instead of just enjoying it.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #44
aawa
Babbling Farker

I enjoy cooking and eating the same amount. The one thing with cooking/eating my own food is that I am my own worst critic. I am always looking for ways to improve my cooking, so I try to find the "faults" in my cooking so I can make even better food. I will still enjoy my food because I think I am a pretty dang good cook, but always look to improve.

Cooking for others and seeing them enjoy my food brings a sense of gratification. I don't think I have cooked food where most people didn't enjoy the food. I know it might not be the most amazing thing they ate, but they do acknowledge the fact that it is good food. And good food helps foster good times with your good friends.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #45
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I somehow easily lose my appetite when working a grill for a long period of time. but on a low and slow cook, I typically get my fair share while pulling or slicing
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote