MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #136
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

This build is simply awsome. Between you, Thermal Mass & Carbon, y'all are gonna cost me a $20,000 outdoor kitchen on our pool deck, including of course a wood oven. My wife & I took a trip to the Texas hill country a couple months back and hit a bunch of vineyards. At one (Becker) there was this guy Gino from Philly (swear to God) that had a 42" WO mounted on a double axle trailer turning out some great pies. My wife was really impressed so when I started seeing y'all builds I thought she might like to see them too. Net result, she "wants one of those". I guess life could be worse.

One serious question: I really like the dome form you are using but how are you gonna get it out of the completed dome - burn it out?

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #137
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Looking great!!!

Like most of us dreaming about doing this, I've put a lot of thought into it as well. I'm sure you could use the oven as a smoker, but I'd be worried about getting it built up with grease and gunk causing off flavors when cooking breads and what not. Having said that, I think the idea of putting a hinged door on the grill like a Texas pit smoker is brillant.

Can't wait to see it cook!

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

Thanks.. Lots of people roast, cook and grill in a WFO, even whole pigs, so im not worried about it. These oven can get over 900F, any oil or over spills easily will burn off. Having said that you dont want to intentionally spill food and oil all over the place, you should have pans under your food, when grilling, you would either use a cast iron pan or a Tuscan style grill, and have coals under the grill, any spill the heat will just burn it up.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #138
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Any thoughts on building up a back splash behind the grill and sink? It would keep stuff from falling behind it, if nothing else. Just a thought....

I was thinking about it, using my vintage bricks, i may or may not do it. Well see how things come along.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #139
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
BTW, my oven just produced white smoke:

Nice... I wish i was at that point.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #140
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
This build is simply awsome. Between you, Thermal Mass & Carbon, y'all are gonna cost me a $20,000 outdoor kitchen on our pool deck, including of course a wood oven. My wife & I took a trip to the Texas hill country a couple months back and hit a bunch of vineyards. At one (Becker) there was this guy Gino from Philly (swear to God) that had a 42" WO mounted on a double axle trailer turning out some great pies. My wife was really impressed so when I started seeing y'all builds I thought she might like to see them too. Net result, she "wants one of those". I guess life could be worse.

One serious question: I really like the dome form you are using but how are you gonna get it out of the completed dome - burn it out?

Lol, Then get the wifey a darn pizza oven... Im planning on getting in there and breaking it, cutting and breaking it out. If that doesn't work ill have to burn it.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #141
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Lol, Then get the wifey a darn pizza oven... Im planning on getting in there and breaking it, cutting and breaking it out. If that doesn't work ill have to burn it.
If you are able to get the form out without a fire, it will give you an opportunity to touch up any interior grout...
**AND**
Keep in mind, your first fires should be VERY small, growing larger over time.
I cured my dome (before insulating it) over the course of a week, after appx. 10 days from the final keystone (we had a nice stretch of warm dry weather).
I know curing is somewhat more forgiving if using thermal blankets for insulation vs pearlite concrete I used.
That was another curing process before the first render was applied..
The cool part is that we did begin using it once the insulation was fairly well cured.
Get your recipes ready!!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #142
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks man, since fires are very inconsistent im thinkig of other ways to dry out the oven. So far im planning on using a dehumidifier with a enclosed shell around the oven. Well see

I also plan on only using ceramic fiber blankets, no v-crete

Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #143
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

I wouldn't have taken back the curing fires, they were very rewarding.
It was my time to marvel at the handiwork and a perfect excuse to sit back with some fine beverages tending the delicate fires...
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #144
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Our dome is slowly rising. It was a pain in the rear cutting and trying to taper the bricks, id have to say it was hard than i had thought, figuring out the cut per brick per row was very tedious and aggravating. However we managed to move on.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #145
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

This morning i woke up and looked out my bedroom window. Excited how the oven is coming along and at the same time disappointed at how messy the backyard is. Ahhh so much work left to do.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #146
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

Looks great! I'm excited for you and I can't wait to see you fire it up. Keep your chin up, you're closer than you think.

Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #147
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks man :). We actually finished the dome today, now onto the chimney we must start.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #148
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Awesome. I admire your fortitude to get it done. I'm too lazy. When building the house next year in Canyon, I'll be putting in one of these on the back deck.
http://www.fornobravo.com/residentia...zza-ovens.html
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #149
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Here are some pictures of the dome plugged and complete. Over the weekend i plan on breaking the form, getting inside and filling the gaps and cleaning up inside.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #150
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

That dome is looking good! Interesting that you at one point started to spiral up the courses to the dome top?