Moonshiners UDS

Yup I shouted it out to my wife as well! Love me some moonshine!! Just made a nice batch of apple pie.

What happened to popcorn ? Did he pass on or just not on the show ? never mind I answered my own question , I had no idea those shows were that old . He passed in 2009

Last edited:
popcorn made liquid smoke version moonshine. cheap imitation...
this show is just for viewers...
just my 2 cents

From what I gathered PopCorn video taped himself making his last batch of shine in 2009. Then the show last year was showing some of that video through out the season.

Curious what you add for your apple pie version ?

Wish Popcorn Sutton was still around.

Here is the recipe I used. I have a moonshine hook up and from what I was told it is 95% or 190 proof.

Dave’s Apple Pie Moonshine Recipe

1/2 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon of apple cider
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1 liter of MoonShine

To get started, you need a large boiling pot. Add into this pot the apple juice, apple cider, the white and brown sugar, and the whole fresh cinnamon sticks. Bring these contents to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down to room temperature. Once at room temperature, gradually stir in the 190 proof grain alcohol. What you don’t consume in one sitting, you can bottle for later use. Store it in sterile Mason jars, place one cinnamon stick in each jar, and then store them in a cool dark dry place. After a couple of weeks your Apple Pie Moonshine will taste even better. This batch will make about 5 quarts.

Here is the recipe I used. I have a moonshine hook up and from what I was told it is 95% or 190 proof.

Dave’s Apple Pie Moonshine Recipe

1/2 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon of apple cider
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1 liter of MoonShine

To get started, you need a large boiling pot. Add into this pot the apple juice, apple cider, the white and brown sugar, and the whole fresh cinnamon sticks. Bring these contents to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down to room temperature. Once at room temperature, gradually stir in the 190 proof grain alcohol. What you don’t consume in one sitting, you can bottle for later use. Store it in sterile Mason jars, place one cinnamon stick in each jar, and then store them in a cool dark dry place. After a couple of weeks your Apple Pie Moonshine will taste even better. This batch will make about 5 quarts.
Sounds good...
Where can a city feller find 190 proof grain alcohol?
what would be a suitable replacement?

I get mine at the grocery store; sugar, yeast,corn meal, distilled water. :rolleyes:

Making white likker with sugar and/or yeast is the equivilant of boiling ribs. :biggrin1:

The real stuff that tastes like single-malt Scotch was started with malt from sprouted corn, no sugar, no yeast. The old timers took pride in it and made it for quality. The later generations tend to make it for speed and quantity-i.e. profit.

As tpope said, Popcorn's likker wan't anything special at all really- not great, not horrible, about average. Popcorn lived right up the road from me for years, and I've drunk his stuff more than once.

And for what it's worth, having been born and raised and living all my life in the middle of the southern Appalachian illegal liquor-making region, (and having been born into a family that made their share of it in the past,) I've never heard anybody from around here call it "moonshine." It's usually called "white likker" or a lot of the older fellers that made it called it "blockade likker."

Making white likker with sugar and/or yeast is the equivilant of boiling ribs. :biggrin1:

The real stuff that tastes like single-malt Scotch was started with malt from sprouted corn, no sugar, no yeast. The old timers took pride in it and made it for quality. The later generations tend to make it for speed and quantity-i.e. profit.

As tpope said, Popcorn's likker wan't anything special at all really- not great, not horrible, about average. Popcorn lived right up the road from me for years, and I've drunk his stuff more than once.

And for what it's worth, having been born and raised and living all my life in the middle of the southern Appalachian illegal liquor-making region, (and having been born into a family that made their share of it in the past,) I've never heard anybody from around here call it "moonshine." It's usually called "white likker" or a lot of the older fellers that made it called it "blockade likker."
Oh trust me I know better. I wasn't about to start describing how to malt your corn and all the:gossip: secret stuff that goes into a good beer. A simple sugar wash with a little corn meal for flavor will get it done in the kitchen. I was made in TX and born & raised on the W VA side of the line just out side of Bluefield, My Grand daddy (Ma's side) was Maryville TN boy he taught me a thing or three.

Back