MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

Default Competition Chicken

I've been looking at many of the Box threads and most, if not all of them have been thighs. Why doesn't anyone put in Drums or wings or breast or a combination? Is it not allowed or is just for visual presentation to have uniform pieces? I guess wings might not be meaty enough or maybe dry out too much.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

good reading on the subject.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104716

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

Thanks Boogie. Good thread. From the picture in that thread the thigh looks boneless. Is that the norm? Bone the thigh before cooking? And do you bring just thighs to the comp or do you have to bring whole birds and butcher them down. Going by the Brethren Bill of Rights the meat can be trimmed prior to inspection so I guess just thighs would be fine.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i debone for a number of reasons. others don't for their reasons.

i trim everything before packing in the cooler for the trip.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

If you can cook a PERFECT chicken breast; moist and tender, you can score well. I won more chicken $$$ with white meat than with dark (but I won with dark also).

But I DO know how to brine 'em ;)
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
"Bone to Bark" BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

How many people de-bone thighs as opposed to not.... I'm just wondering since our first comp is coming up soon!
"Bone to Bark" BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

both depends on size of thighs we have.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

back in december i turned in wings with thighs. we ended up like 13th or 14 th second on our table. i thought the wings were out of sight, but without doing it a second time im not sure if it was a good idea

Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Anybody ever turn gizzards
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
in the fba our scores are 5-10 with 7.5 being average. if you cooked a average gizzard would you get a 7.5. i think someone should try it. just not me.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
tdwalker
Full Fledged Farker

From this judge's perspective:

I have judged thighs, breast, wings and pulled. As a eater, I *love* variety and would encourage cooks to not only experiement with the pieces, but with the flavors as well. As a judge, it doesn't matter one bit what type of chicken is entered. If its good, it scores well.

I personally dislike the "cook to the judges" philosophy, but I understand that it is based on the reality of the scores coming out of the tent.

I have seen wings only rarely in the mid-atlantic region, where I do my judging. The last time was at a Sam's Club regional in Laurel, MD last year. My recollection from the table's discussion was that everyone appreciated the change in pace, but, unfortunately, the wings flavor profile was not as good as the other entries at the table. I could easily see the cook thinking the problem was that he entered wings, but the problem really was that he entered "meh" wings.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Ah, what if you force-fed a chicken like they do ducks to produce Foie Gras?

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

From another judge's perspective - I also like to see diversity in the box. But I like to be able to tell that it actually is chicken. The little skin covered balls of boneless parts is not all that visually appealing to me. It might score high in taste and tenderness, but not so much in appearance. Slices and chunks of white meat seem to go well at the tables where I've judged. Also I've judged several entries where there was chopped chicken underneath the thighs or legs. Something different that seems to meet the pleasure of judges around me as well.

Just my $.02.

Gizzards - NO WAY!!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I think most cooks think that thighs are the tastiest part of the chicken, and I've heard this echoed by many chefs as well, but we've had calls with breast meat a time or two. Mostly, I think it's commonly accepted that judges will judge thighs better, although I'm not sure that's true. When I judged, I welcomed something that was not a perfectly symmetrical mahogany thigh, but also some breast/wing turn in's I ate looked good, the flavor didn't live up often times
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerDJ View Post
I've been looking at many of the Box threads and most, if not all of them have been thighs. Why doesn't anyone put in Drums or wings or breast or a combination? Is it not allowed or is just for visual presentation to have uniform pieces? I guess wings might not be meaty enough or maybe dry out too much.

You answered your own questions correctly. Saved us a lot of time.

Uniform is better.

Wings aren't meaty enough, nor drummies really.

Breasts can win, but are easily dried out.

You can win with anything, but why handicap yourself by not using thighs?
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote