Polish Sausage

R

Roo-B-Q'N

Ok brothers and sisters. Had the smoker fired up today and Char and Iwere making sausages, polish, italian, and brats. Had a horrible time with the polish (first time doing sausage). So we threw what we had on the smoker and it has been on for almost 2 hours now. Can't find out how long to smoke them. Any help would be very helpful at this point.

Merry Chrisrmas Brothers and Sister!

What is your intention? Are you attempting to make fresh sausage or do you intend to prepare smoke preserved sausage? I don't smoke cure my Polish nor Italian sausage.

That sounded rude and presumptuous not my intention, but meat curing is an entire different animal than Qing. I like to make my own home brewed sausages. Playing around with the seasonings is fun.

Hope it works out well for you.

Not rude at all. We didn't intend to smoke preserve either, but through a series of mis-haps we ended up with one three foot sausage and a few smaller ones. Got better with the italian and brats, but the polish were goners as far as freezing for future use.

Oh, and I found out less than two hours at 125 is the answer to the question. Thing is split down the center. Looks bad but the taste is awesome.

Roo-B-Q'N said:
Oh, and I found out less than two hours at 125 is the answer to the question. Thing is split down the center. Looks bad but the taste is awesome.

Did you mean 225? Two hours at 125 wouldn't cook them much :-D

I cooked some fresh polish last weekend. Mine were about 1" diameter and were done in about 90 minutes at 240.

Even three hours does not sound out of the question especially if the diameter is 2+ inches. ... I'd cook em to 165 deg.

THis answered the question I was about to post. I bought some fresh chicken sausage and I wasn't sure whether to smoke them or grill them. Smoking works for me.

Bigmista said:
THis answered the question I was about to post. I bought some fresh chicken sausage and I wasn't sure whether to smoke them or grill them. Smoking works for me.

You may want to do a test cook to see what you like best. I generally grill chicken sausages, but the ones I make have 60:40 chicken dark meat & pork, roasted peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, lime juice & tequila. There are a lot of flavors going on, so grilling seems to work best on these.

Back