MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #886
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Yep, as with any new cooker...gotta learn it [emoji4]

Once you get a handle on the MAK (shouldn’t take long), you are in for some easy/delicious cooking! I think there is also a transition for many people as far as flavor when moving from charcoal to pellets. I have come to absolutely love the flavor of pellet cooked food [emoji39]

Oh yeah, and as you already mentioned, the moisture!!!
Yes a definite difference in the flavor profile, but in a good way. Everyone liked the taste.

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #887
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Today I join your ranks.....it’s MAK Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #888
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
Today I join your ranks.....it’s MAK Monday!

Happy Monday buddy, excited for you! Don’t forget to show us some pics :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM   #889
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Happy Monday buddy, excited for you! Don’t forget to show us some pics :)

Thank you sir! There will be plenty of pics!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #890
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 11-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #891
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

This might be the best Made in USA product I’ve ever owned. Even the included tools were made here. The hardware, construction, grates, all exceeded my expectations. I’m soooo glad I didn’t go with RecTec. Doing the burn in now.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #892
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
This might be the best Made in USA product I’ve ever owned. Even the included tools were made here. The hardware, construction, grates, all exceeded my expectations. I’m soooo glad I didn’t go with RecTec. Doing the burn in now.

Congrats buddy! You are in for many many years of fantastic eats from that smokin’ machine :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #893
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

That is a sweet rig.

I posted another thread but I got a buddy who is working on buying a GMG right now. With Black Friday pricing his Jim Bowie WiFi will only be $100 more than I paid for my lil Tex that was on clearance at Ace for Father’s Day

Old 11-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #894
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Oh.... yes one person can assemble the 1 Star alone relatively easily. Just make sure you lock the casters before you attempt to lift it upright or you might...ummm....go for a little ride into your other smoker.

Last edited by NYC ‘Que; 11-19-2018 at 07:14 PM..
NYC ‘Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #895
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Oh.... yes one person can install the 1 Star by himself relatively easily. Just make sure you lock the casters before you attempt to lift it upright or you might...ummm....go for a little ride into your other smoker.

Congrats, they are impressive

Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #896
SeminoleCooker
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Shawn

Hello,

Long time follower of this site and I appreciate all the valuable information that is provided.

I have read quite a bit on this site and others and have narrowed my choices down to 3 or 4. The Rec Tec Stampede, GMG Jim Bowie, Yoder 640 or a MAK 1 star. I didn't know much about the Mak before reading on this site.

The main reason for the GMG is due to the wifi as well as the black Friday special that is running. The Rec Tec seems to be a better smoker than the GMG, but with the understanding that both are imports. Of the two which one would be a better value?

I have also looked at the Yoder's and am impressed with the quality, with the drawback that it doesn't have a wifi enabled controller. The MAK looks nice, but seems very small in comparison and not as well built.

I know these had been debated at nauseum but would appreciate any insight to consider before making a purchase.
SeminoleCooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #897
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Mak and Yoder are far and away better built cookers than the other 2 if that matters to you?
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #898
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleCooker View Post
Hello,

Long time follower of this site and I appreciate all the valuable information that is provided.

I have read quite a bit on this site and others and have narrowed my choices down to 3 or 4. The Rec Tec Stampede, GMG Jim Bowie, Yoder 640 or a MAK 1 star. I didn't know much about the Mak before reading on this site.

The main reason for the GMG is due to the wifi as well as the black Friday special that is running. The Rec Tec seems to be a better smoker than the GMG, but with the understanding that both are imports. Of the two which one would be a better value?

I have also looked at the Yoder's and am impressed with the quality, with the drawback that it doesn't have a wifi enabled controller. The MAK looks nice, but seems very small in comparison and not as well built. Several people on here have bought the Smoke Daddy recently, and it seems like a well priced unit. Also there is the Assassin, and Blazin Grill Works, Pitts and Spitts. I would probably consider any of those over rec tecc, but there are a lot of happy rec tec owners.

I know these had been debated at nauseum but would appreciate any insight to consider before making a purchase.
I love my Yoder, and can't imagine replacing it. Wifi was not important to me. After a year, I still don't feel the need for it. If I had wanted wifi, I would have bought a Mak. To me, Yoder and Mak are the cream of the crop, when it comes to pellet smokers. You can put Memphis in the list, if you are wanting a pellet grill. If it was down to Green Mountain, and Rec-tec, I would go Rec-Tec. Seen a lot of complaints about the larger GM's, and the Davy Crockett is too small from me. Several People on here have bought smoke daddy's lately, and they seem to be a well priced unit. You also have Assassin, Pitts and Spitts, and Blazin Grill Works. All of which I would consider over a rec-tec. There are a lot of happy rec tec owners though, so you will probably be happy with anything you choose.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #899
SeminoleCooker
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I love my Yoder, and can't imagine replacing it. Wifi was not important to me. After a year, I still don't feel the need for it. If I had wanted wifi, I would have bought a Mak. To me, Yoder and Mak are the cream of the crop, when it comes to pellet smokers. You can put Memphis in the list, if you are wanting a pellet grill. If it was down to Green Mountain, and Rec-tec, I would go Rec-Tec. Seen a lot of complaints about the larger GM's, and the Davy Crockett is too small from me. Several People on here have bought smoke daddy's lately, and they seem to be a well priced unit. You also have Assassin, Pitts and Spitts, and Blazin Grill Works. All of which I would consider over a rec-tec. There are a lot of happy rec tec owners though, so you will probably be happy with anything you choose.
Thank you for the insight. I'd ideally like to stay below around $1,800 if possible. Do you use the grilling option on your Yoder and has that met your expectations?
SeminoleCooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #900
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleCooker View Post
Thank you for the insight. I'd ideally like to stay below around $1,800 if possible. Do you use the grilling option on your Yoder and has that met your expectations?
Yes, I don't grill much, but I use it for reverse sear regularly. It can certainly grill very well though. I think all the ones I mentioned were in your price range. Pitts and Spitts would be close. Smoke Daddy is well below your range. You need the optional 2 piece diffuser, to make it a great grill though.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote