MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #11446
CORNDAWG
Knows what a fatty is.

Goldenfinger

Where did you get those "They are breathers designed for hydraulic tanks. [3/4" NPT]"?
I want to look into those for my UDS. Thanks
CORNDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #11447
Goldenfinger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNDAWG View Post
Goldenfinger

Where did you get those "They are breathers designed for hydraulic tanks. [3/4" NPT]"?
I want to look into those for my UDS. Thanks
I work with this stuff everyday so really I just called my local distributor...

The "actual" product I used was...
MP Filtri #SA-075-G5-L40-A

Be warned... they aren't the cheapest solution out there, but they do work great. ($29.77 each CDN)

Any hydraulic parts distributor would have access to this or a comparable product you could use... and I'm pretty sure they sell these in the US for a fraction of what they cost here in Canada.

Interesting note...
Lid for Weber Performer bought from Weber in US = $42.00
Lid for Weber Performer bought from "O.M." (Weber) in Canada = $85.00

I literally could have purchased a 22.5" WSM by the time I finished-up, but then again... I would have missed out on all the fun of the build and neighbours gawking while I smoke on the front walk (for now...) from a drum...

These things are great..!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #11448
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavinjj View Post
I just finished up an experiment this weekend with one of my new UDS builds. I actually went with the 8 holes in the lid instead of using the existing 2 inch hole and noticed that the variance in temperature across the grill was greatly reduced.

With the single 2 inch exhaust I was seeing a 30 degree difference between the side of the barrel where my thermometer was and the center of the grill. I also saw another 20 degree difference higher where the exhaust was.

With the 8 exhaust holes I saw about a 15 degree difference between the side of the barrel and the center of the grill and the hot spot was gone altogether.

Based on that I would say the eight holes helps to distribute the heat across your grill compared to using a single exhaust.
Thanks for the feedback. I remember you talking about trying that. Good to see that it has a positive effect. What size or the holes? Pipe nipples with a cap or what?

I wonder what the temp differences will be on this first UDS. It has a domed lid with a large single intake that is only just off-center at the top of the dome. It is almost closer to the handle, I think, than the exhaust on a typical Weber kettle is (this one is a Charbroil copy). That might have a positive impact on the temp spread.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #11449
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

My build is basically done. I still have to paint some lettering on the lid.
My first cook was a 14lb turkey. It turned out fantastic.
Some interesting notes from the cook:
> I used a water pan under the turkey.
> My target temp was intially 275. The temperature climbed a lot slower than I expected. Eventually I propped the lid about 5/8" on one side. That made the temp climb faster. When it got close to 300 (my revised target, based on when we wanted to eat), I put the lid back down. The temp plateaued, and started dropping slowly. When I propped the lid about 1/4", the temp stabilized around 290.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have two 3/4" inlets, a 3/4" ball valve inlet, and four 1" exhaust 90 deg fittings in the lid. Four 1" openings have the same area as one 2" port. Should I consider adding more exhaust? Is the temp behavior due mostly to my use of a water pan?

> Also, I used the well-known method of loading the charcoal basket and putting apple wood, in at all levels, spread around. I noticed that the UDS smoked visibly for some time. The visible smoke stopped at about the mid-point. When I emptied the basket the next day to separate the still-good coals from the ashes, there was still chunks of wood. Was the wood still producing the kind of smoke that can't be seen, or did the wood stop smoking somehow?

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #11450
HAndyman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Andy

Try removing your 90* fittings from the exhaust, and if that helps, just add a few more.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #11451
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
My build is basically done. I still have to paint some lettering on the lid.
> I used a water pan under the turkey.

Using a water pan will make it slower and harder to reach the higher temperature.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #11452
shovelrobert
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

my first post and I goofed, started posting after misreading someone's post ooops. edited it but don't know how to delete it

Last edited by shovelrobert; 09-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: posted wrong info
shovelrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #11453
bvbull200
Take a breath!

For future reference, here is how to figure out the math to come up with the surface area for a given hole:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrobert View Post
A = π × r2
1 inch circle
A = 3.14 x 1 x 1
A= 3.14

2 inch circle
A = 3.14 x 2 x 2
A= 12.56

Last edited by bvbull200; 09-24-2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Edited to show just the math
bvbull200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #11454
shovelrobert

you're right, you caught Me before I could correct my mistake.
Time for Me to go to bed ,too tired to read.
shovelrobert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #11455
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrobert View Post
you're right, you caught Me before I could correct my mistake.
Time for Me to go to bed ,too tired to read.
Ha ha...I edited it out of my post, too.

The math is still helpful, though.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #11456
nopantsdan
Got Wood.

I'll post some pictures of my UDS build later but did my second cook this weekend. Was a bit windy and noticed a lot of smoke escaping from between my weber lid and the aluminum strip mod.

Was thinking how I could attach nomex gasket to make it seal better, and came across this.

Any thoughts?
nopantsdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #11457
jlvhawk3

I didn't make it through all 764 (currently) pages of this thread, but I have skimmed MANY of them! Thank you to everyone for all the great advice, inspiration and ideas! Never had a smoker, and mostly used just gas grills previously, but I'll be putting together a UDS next week! I've got a drum on the way, and I cheated and ordered a kit from Big Poppa Smokers for my first build! I know it's not the cheapest route, but having everything necessary there and ready to put together was enticing. Can't wait for everything to show up and start building! Between all the steps of burning, wire brush/cleaning, drilling, painting, assembling, seasoning, etc...and fitting that all in to the work schedule, I hope to do my first real Q'n next weekend! Planning to go with a nice pork butt for the first go! Can't wait!
jlvhawk3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #11458
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopantsdan View Post
I'll post some pictures of my UDS build later but did my second cook this weekend. Was a bit windy and noticed a lot of smoke escaping from between my weber lid and the aluminum strip mod. Was thinking how I could attach nomex gasket to make it seal better, and came across this. Rutland Inc Gasket Kit Tape 7'x5/8" 95-6:Amazon:Home & Kitchen
Any thoughts?
You could try using 2 inch wide strips of aluminum foil on the drum edge and let the lid seal. Cheap easy test and fix, If you notice, there are quite a few guys who use the foil on the edge to seal up their lids. Big plus is once it's all greasy you can put new on if needed, the nomex, not so much.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #11459
cowboykilroy
Found some matches.

After borrowing the uds from work two weeks ago for a family outing and having great success. I built my own last week and used it Sunday. These things are amazingly simple to use.
cowboykilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #11460
cowboykilroy
Found some matches.

I guess I should add a bit about my build that May help others. I was in Wally World and found their backyard grill dome grill for $44.00 with tax. The dome lid fit with a little massaging, the lid has hinges and a snap down latch. I used the cooking grate and the wheels. It came together great. I will be making smoke again this weekend.
cowboykilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker