UDS Diffuser Question

Hoosier1960

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am finishing up the build on my UDS. I am debating on whether I should put an option for a diffuser. I have considered getting Weber Flavorizer Bars (stainless pieces of angle iron that are on clearance) and set them on my lower rack in the UDS when I want a diffuser. Any suggestions on this from those that use one? For those that do what height are you putting your diffuser at?

I use a foil lined terra cotta saucer. I think the general consensus is to use a 16" size, but my wife happened to have a 12" one, so that's what I used. Works like a champ. I don't specifically recall what height it's at.

What I did was put another set of brackets a little above my fire basket and then if I want I can put a grate on it and then a pizza pan to deflect some of the heat. One thing I will say is to not get to big of a pan. If it gets to big you will go through fual a lot faster.

I added another grate just above the fire basket that I set my foil wrapped pizza stone on. This makes the temp above the pizza stone much more uniform. There used to be about a 75 degree difference from the center to the outside edge but not so with the pizza stone diffuser. I still don't use a diffuser with butts because I like the flavor created by the grease dripping in the coals.

I wrap a 16" pizza pan in foil (for easy cleaning) and just lay it across my firebasket. Seems to work well. There's probably a better way but I'm too lazy to pursue it.

Last edited:
I have a second grate over the fire basket and use a perforated pizza pan I got for just a few bucks, seems to work pretty good.
defusers.jpg

I used a diffuser one time and thought it really took away the unique flavor you get from the UDS. I dont think I would ever use one again. As far as temp difference I spread my lit coals out a little more in the basket, seems to help some.

I installed a third lower rack in mine just for the purpose of setting a diffuser (pizza pan with some holes drilled in it). You could just as easily set any type of diffuser you want on a lower of two racks...

I used a diffuser one time and thought it really took away the unique flavor you get from the UDS. I dont think I would ever use one again. As far as temp difference I spread my lit coals out a little more in the basket, seems to help some.

+1
Defeats the purpose of a Drum Smoker if you ask me.
I know, you didn't ask me.

I went ahead and drilled the holes for the brackets. I did not want to drill any holes after it is powder coated if I can avoid it. I may never use a diffuser, but I like the option at least. Thanks for all the input!

I think a solid diffuser may defeat the fat smoke. Some don't like the direct fat smoke you get with no solid diffuser. IMO a diffuser with holes slows the rise of he heat and spreads it out some. (No scientific study done.) (maybe slows the draft some too.)

Who knows I did it cause it made sense to me and have not looked back. Works for me.

I added a diffuser because my center slab of ribs cooked faster than the two on the outside. Problem solved. I only use the diffuser when cooking certain things. I never use it when cooking butts because I like the flavor created by the fat dripping in the coals. I don't think it makes much if any difference in the flavor when cooking ribs or even brisket.

I use a 16" diameter pizza pan when I don't want the drippings to hit the coals. Otherwise, I use an 18" diameter perforated pizza pan to let the drippings flow through and to allow some direct heat.

I added another grate just above the fire basket that I set my foil wrapped pizza stone on. This makes the temp above the pizza stone much more uniform. There used to be about a 75 degree difference from the center to the outside edge but not so with the pizza stone diffuser. I still don't use a diffuser with butts because I like the flavor created by the grease dripping in the coals.

Yeppers!
A foil wrapped pizza stone, a pizza pan (with or without holes) or even a piece of granite slab I got from a place that makes granite counter tops. Certain foods I want the fat to drip into the fire, but some other foods I need the more even heat from using a diffuser. Also, if I am doing ribs on my top and bottom racks, it seems to make them all cook at a more even rate, otherwise the bottom rack gets a lot more direct heat than the top.

As Carbon said, a perforated pizza pan works well. I use one in my 30 gal UDS when I do baby backs

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Back