Question for Stoker owners?

N

nonthink

I’m doing research on a Stoker.
Is the 5 c.f.m. fan sufficient enough for an 18 inch WSM, or should I upgrade to the 10 c.f.m.

I don't have a WSM, so I can't comment. But I will say that you won't regret having a little extra capacity if (when) you get a bigger pit. It's a whole lot cheaper to spend a few $$ now and upgrade than it is to buy a larger fan after the fact.

10 cfm is way too much for a WSM. I've got a 5 cfm for my WSM and a 5 cfm for my Superior SS-2. This way I can run both cookers at the same time if needed. I also have a spare blower in case one goes south at a contest.

I would stick with the 5 cfm. I have a 10 and I think it is to big for our smoker which is larger than either of those two. Call John at Rocks BBQ and ask him.

5 cfm is plenty for both the 18" and 22 1/2" WSM. You could get a 10 cfm for a 22 1/2" if you thought you might need more power for something later. Or if you do high heat cooks on the 22 1/2".

there is no need for the larger fan on either WSM. I just ran a cook on my 22" WSM and got 15 hours on a single load of charcoal using the stoker and the fan barely turned on for the majority of the cook.

FYI:

As it pertains to the 22.5 WSM, last week John advised I get a 10 cfm. Maybe he is wrong.

(For the 18, yes, the 5 is certainly the way to go and I am not sure anyone could argue with that.)

Again, I don't have a WSM, but has anyone with an 18.5" model used a 10 cfm fan and experienced negative results? It's obvious from the other posts that a 5cfm fan will work, but that doesn't mean that a 10cfm fan won't work too. If it works, then it may help get up to temp faster and make it easier to maintain temps in cold/wet/windy weather.

I have a 18 and a 22 WSM. I also have 5 and 10 cfm fans for the Stoker. I use both size fans on both smokers. Temps are the issue. The 18, 275 and under the 5 cfm is the ticket. The 22 250 and lower I use the 5 cfm. Higher temps I use the 10 cfm. The 10 will bring the WSM up to temp faster of course. So it is good for week day cooks.When doing all night cooks I use the 5 90% of the time and it keeps the pit within 10 degrees all night. Now pull the water pan run the 10cfm fan get the pit to 400 and do pizza.

I have a UDS and a 5cfm fan. No complaints. If it were bigger than a drum i would opt for a 10cfm.

Back