MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Default My dry brisket

I smoked a brisket flat Wednesday, my second one. I put it on at 5 a.m.. I wrapped in foil at about 170 degrees and put it back on the smoker. It hit 200 and I started sliding my meat probe in and out of different areas and left it on until it all felt like butter. I took it off and wrapped it, still foiled, in a towel and left it on the counter for about 45 minutes. When I cut it, some parts turned out really good and some parts were very stringy and almost impossible to cut. They were tough too. My brisket seemed really dry too, but I have not ever tried mopping or adding juices when I foiled it. Where did I go wrong? By the way, it was on for a little over 13 hours.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, 13 hours seems like an awfully long time for just a flat. Was the flat trimmed or did it still have a fat cap and other fat on it? Were you careful to cut across the grain of the meat when slicing?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Buddy, I'll share the Trick Ron told me and I've never had a dry brisket since.

When you wrap, add beef broth. The brisket will soak it up like a sponge.

No more dry.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Well, 13 hours seems like an awfully long time for just a flat. Was the flat trimmed or did it still have a fat cap and other fat on it? Were you careful to cut across the grain of the meat when slicing?
Yes, I did cut against or across the grain. I think the fat cap was trimmed off cause there were only patches of fat on the bottom. My first one was less than three pounds and it took almost as long. I did not foil that one and it turned out really good but a little on the dry side as well. I have been reading some of the posts talking about using a broth of some type when foiling. Maybe I should try that. It did stay above 190 degrees for the last few hours but I would just move my probe around testing different areas until it slid in and out very smoothly, like butter. Do you think that using the flat that has the fat cap removed may be part of the problem?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Buddy, I'll share the Trick Ron told me and I've never had a dry brisket since.

When you wrap, add beef broth. The brisket will soak it up like a sponge.

No more dry.
I am kind of a newbie, well really a newbie at this. When you say beef broth, are you talking about just something store bought? Thank you for the help. It is frustrating to smoke all day and end up with a bad result. I am not giving up, just down about it.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

If you do not have beef broth on hand use any liquid. But use something when foiling.
I have used broth, water, Apple juice, Root beer, Coke.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEMAC View Post
I am kind of a newbie, well really a newbie at this. When you say beef broth, are you talking about just something store bought? Thank you for the help. It is frustrating to smoke all day and end up with a bad result. I am not giving up, just down about it.
I hear ya. Not only frustrating, but expensive.

I had never had good brisket before, and could not figure out what the big deal was about brisket. My guess is, anyone that thinks brisket is not good has never had great, cut with a fork tender and juicy brisket.

I just use swanson beef broth. Great prices around the holidays also.

I don't submerge it or anything...I just add about 1/2-1 inch in the bottom
to give it a little bath.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
I hear ya. Not only frustrating, but expensive.

I had never had good brisket before, and could not figure out what the big deal was about brisket. My guess is, anyone that thinks brisket is not good has never had great, cut with a fork tender and juicy brisket.

I just use swanson beef broth. Great prices around the holidays also.

I don't submerge it or anything...I just add about 1/2-1 inch in the bottom
to give it a little bath.
Man, that's awesome. I really appreciate the help.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Happy to help. Let us know how your next cook goes.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Happy to help. Let us know how your next cook goes.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
EricF
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm curios as to what temp you were cooking at? I am not trying to knock your cook or anything but 13 hours for a flat sounds like a long time, unless you held a lower cooking temp, or the flat was larger than I usually see in regards to a brisket flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

What temp are you cooking at? I've had 2 4# briskets on for 2 hours, at 250* and they are already at 140* internal.
This is how I cook flats.
Start your coals.
While they are coming up to temp, (250*) wipe the brisket, slather it with Worcestershire sauce, then apply rub. When the cooker is up to temp, put the brisket on fat side down. (This lets the fat act as a heat shield, and keeps the meat from drying out.) Smoke for about 3 hrs. to an internal temp of 160* - 165*, then either wrap in foil, or put in a foil pan , fat side up , and add liquid, then seal with foil. (this can be beef broth, or any mixture that you like. I use three Tablespoons. of Steve Raichlins's honey balsamic glaze, (Here is the link)

mihttp://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m/5330004152

mixed with 1/4 cup of strong coffee.
If you want you can now finish in a 250* oven, as there will be no more smoke getting into the meat. cook the meat to an internal temp of 190* - 195 *at the thickest part of the flat. When a probe goes into the meat with no resistance the meat is done. Remove from the oven, and let set for at least an hour, without opening the foil. Slice across the grain.
defat the juices and serve, on the side.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been cooking at 240 degrees. My smoker has a built in thermostat and stays within a 5-7 degree window either side of 240. It is a vertical smoker and I have noticed that my top rack seems to cook faster. That is where I smoked the brisket. Even my butts take around 10-12 hours for an eight pounder.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would suggest putting a drip pan on the bottom rack with some water in it, you can even add some onions and garlic in there, let it catch the drippings off of the brisket. When you go to foil, filter and add the liquid in the pan to the foil, just a 1/2 cup or so. This aids in adding moisture to the cooker (very important) and moisture to the rest (also important).

You can take the rest of the liquid, add the liquid from the foil after resting and filter again, store and use the next time you make brisket, you keep doing this and soon you have a great injection base or soup base.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
MIKEMAC
Knows what a fatty is.

I tried a drip pan under it this time and also have a water pan in the bottom. I did not add any water to my drip pan, that sounds like a great idea as most of my drippings were dried and burnt up by the time I foiled it. I also noticed my water pan was dry at the end of the cook. I usually don't have that problem. Next time maybe I will check it and add some water as necessary. I will definitely put water in my drip pan though. Thank you