Grilled Halibut suggestions?

S

Stachel

Am going to grill some Halibut and some jalapenos using tips from this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19898 later tonight to impress an XY type (i.e., a guy!)

Any suggestions for the halibut?

The best way I've ever tasted halibut prepared was sweet & sour Halibut in Shanghai, China, but have never tried that and don't know how to translate that to the grill.

Halibut is a mild white fish with great flavor.

Grilling???
Only a couple of minutes per side till the flesh turns white should do it.
Should "flake" apart with a fork and not be mushy.
Flavoring is up to you, but it tastes great just as is with salt, pepper, touch of garlic, etc to taste.

Yummy.

Those ABT's will take a lot longer and need to be put on early.
If you are grilling them--allow 45 minutes to an hour or so on the coldest part of the grill--indirect heat is best :lol:
Give them time to build the love!!!!!!!
If thin sliced bacon wrapped, I just cook till the bacon is done.

TIM

Grilled Halibut is a great off the grill. I use lemon pepper or a cajun spice for favoring depending on my mood at the time. Good luck!

I'm not a really big fish guy, but the last time I grilled halibut I used a chicken fajita seasoning that went over well.

The Kapn is right on [as usual]. The big deal with halibut is to not overcook it-it turns to dust quickly. I like a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, melted butter, garlic, and a little lemon juice to baste it with. Basically a scampi sauce. I brush it a couple of times on the grill, and save some to drizzle over the fish when it is plated.

I'm a big fan of a little butter and then some lemon pepper, and I don't turn my fish 'cuz the fillet can fall apart too easily. I've never tried one of those fish baskets, but one day I'm going to try one just for the halibut! :-D :-D :-D

OK... OK... I apologize.

Ron_L said:
I'm a big fan of a little butter and then some lemon pepper, and I don't turn my fish 'cuz the fillet can fall apart too easily. I've never tried one of those fish baskets, but one day I'm going to try one just for the halibut! :-D :-D :-D

OK... OK... I apologize.

Go to your room. That is taking unfair advantage.:mrgreen:

The fish baskets work ok, but if you get one of the perforated grill toppers and lubricate it well before putting the fish on, you can handle most fish without a problem. Halibut acutally is fairly forgiving. Flounder, on the other hand-flounder hash, anyone?:redface: I did say "most" fish.

I marinade mine in lemon juice for at least a half hour. Then rinse, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt and some garlic. Sometimes I'll throw in other things like bay seasoning, celery salt, dill weed, paprika, etc. But I'm finding that the more I cook, the better off I am, and the better the food tastes, by keeping it simple.

Oh, and another good fish to try is orange roughy. Less pricey and just about as tasty.

This may be just what you're looking for or NOT. But, when it comes to most seafood I use only use 3 things: REAL butter, Old Bay, and lemon slices. Period.

Cajun Seasoning and compound butter.

Mix seasonings with softened butter, roll and wrap in plastic wrap, place in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Rub the fish with a little olive oil and then a little cajun seasoning, grill until done (4-5 minutes a side on a 400 fire).

Place a chunck of the butter on the "hot" fish and serve with sides.

If you get very good quality halibut that's thick instead of flat filets, I like to just drizzle some balsamic vinegar and olive on on it, with some salt and pepper, then grill quickly, getting some good grill marks on it. Don't overcook it or it will fall apart on the grill; get it marked, then move it to a cooler spot on a grill pad or basket or whatever. Take it off just before done and let carryover finish it.

Do the ABT's first so you have something to eat while standing over the fish... with a beer (though I've found I really like a cold hard cider with ABTs).

Grill some tomato slices quickly, then cut them up and serve them on the fish.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Wish I had seen that garlic scampi sauce suggestion before I started!

Being in an experimental mood, tried 4 different things on 3 sets of shishkabob-sized pieces of Halibut + 1 of shark that the seafood person told me I should try.

These were from various bottles of things that I've used this year
1) Dragon rub
2) Rice-wine vinegar rub
3) Acada Honey chipotle marinade
4) Acada Raspberry jerk marinade

They went into 4 small zip baggies and in the fridge for an hour.

Was going to alternate halibut with onion on the skewer, but decided to do something different with the onions - put them in a baggie and mixed in balsamic + olive oil.

Grilled them in a wire basket, with onion pieces between the fish pieces. Before putting the fish in, tossed on 2 handfuls of apple wood chips.

Results:
- XY liked it all
- I liked the marinades best. My favorite was the honey chipotle. The rubs seemed too overpowering for the taste of the fish.

The onions turned out great like that! Could still taste a little bit of the balsamic. That taste combined with the sweetness of the onion was great.

Grilling technique observations:

- I gotta remember when opening the grill for the first time after adding the food & wood to close my eyes so that I don't smoke my eyeballs.

- My hair just soaks up the smell of the wood smoke being used. Granted, it IS a much nicer smell than from those European airport lounges where everyone is smoking. Maybe putting it all in a cap would help with that.

Back