MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Covers - more trouble than they are worth?

I bought a large gas grill cover for my UDS. I have a side table so I put the grill cover over it and tighten the sides with bungie cables.

I have 8 one inch holes as exhaust on top, which are covered with magnet strips to put out the fire.

In theory this is great. The cover looks nice (makes the wife happy) and there is rain protection.

The problem is that when I remove the cover (about once a week or so), the whole top of the smoker is covered with water and the sides are wet. My main concern is rust. I have high heat engine paint on the outside and top and I'm not seeing any rust yet, but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

I wonder if it would be better to just leave it sitting outside? At least then when the rain would stop the sun would dry it! The UDS is sitting on the deck, which is where I do my smoking. Otherwise I could put it in the shed when I'm done or something. But that's a hassle.

I'm not sure what to do.

John

Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Where is the water coming from? Is there moisture in the UDS when you put it on? Does the cover have seams that allow rain to come through? Does the cover reach the ground and allow moisture to migrate up from there?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You might be restricting the air flow under the cover if you are tightening it down too much with the bungee cords.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I keep saying it buy a roll of Contractor grade HD SH!T can liners for 5.00 they fit nice even with a shelf, I just replaced the one on my UDS it lasted 3 yrs. I figure at this rate My grand kids will still be using the original roll long after I'm fertilizing the Garden.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Where is the water coming from? Is there moisture in the UDS when you put it on? Does the cover have seams that allow rain to come through? Does the cover reach the ground and allow moisture to migrate up from there?
I'm guessing the moisture is migrating up from the ground. It's a sturdy cover and no rain can get through this.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
You might be restricting the air flow under the cover if you are tightening it down too much with the bungee cords.
I think you are right. A less tight set up would allow the moisture to evaporate.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I keep saying it buy a roll of Contractor grade HD SH!T can liners for 5.00 they fit nice even with a shelf, I just replaced the one on my UDS it lasted 3 yrs. I figure at this rate My grand kids will still be using the original roll long after I'm fertilizing the Garden.
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about? Trash can liners?

Please explain :-)

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilling24x7 View Post
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about? Trash can liners?

Please explain :-)
I speak conversational Texan so let me interpret for you. Plus, I've driven thru Jonesboro, TX at least a couple of dozen times.

Yes, the heavy duty contractor ones from Home Depot.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

If it's painted well I wouldn't worry about it, long as water isn't getting it thru your stack or lid that is.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I would say to leave the bottom loose so air can circulate. I cover mine with a smoker cover and leave the bottom loose. No moisture problem. Also are you covering it before it cools down completely?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D
Default Re: UDS Covers - more trouble than they are worth?

Or you could go to home depot or lowes and in the bbq section there will be covers for barrel type smokers made by char griller and a generics brand I think they cost 7 buck's. But my lid has a flat lip, nothing gets in or out;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999

Tags
cover, rain, rust, uds