How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial)

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This may be old hat for many of the veterans out there, but for those who are interested, here is a step by step tutorial on how to take a big old rack of spare ribs and turn them into a St Louis style rack with rib tips and a special bonus too!

Two racks in a cryovac weighing a little over 10 pounds.

StLouisRibs00001.jpg

Open them up and put the first rack on the cutting board.

StLouisRibs00002.jpg

StLouisRibs00003.jpg

Flip it over and take hold of the flap.

StLouisRibs00004.jpg

Hold your knife parallel to the cutting board and slice off the flap as close to the bones as possible. Make sure you save the flap and all your trimmings!

StLouisRibs00005.jpg

StLouisRibs00006.jpg

And this is how they should look with the flap removed.

StLouisRibs00007.jpg

Now carefully slide a butter knife between the bone and the membrane.

StLouisRibs00008.jpg

Lift with the back of the knife to separate the membrane.

StLouisRibs00009.jpg

Using a paper towel for grip, grab the membrane and carefully start to pull it off.

StLouisRibs00010.jpg

With a little practice, it will come off in one piece.

StLouisRibs00011.jpg

Now locate the longest bone on the rack and insert the tip of your knife.

StLouisRibs00012.jpg

Cut down the length of the rack to get a nice even slab.

StLouisRibs00013.jpg

StLouisRibs00014.jpg

Repeat the process with the other rack, remove the breast bones and trim all the loose ends from the rib tips and this is what you should end up with.

StLouisRibs00015.jpg

So, what will we do with all those trimmings?

StLouisRibs00016.jpg

Maybe sausage, maybe meatloaf, maybe meatballs...that will be a post for another day!

StLouisRibs00017.jpg

StLouisRibs00018.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics!

Yup.....that's how I do it.

Quick question, though.....
I usually rinse all meat out of the cryopack under cold water then pat dry with paper towels. I've done this with chickens, turkeys, ribs, butts, brisket......EVERYTHING. I think I read that somewhere when I got started trimming/cooking meat.

I notice you didn't mention it here. I've always considered it a real PIA step. Not necessary?

ALSO.....when you say cut out the breastbone on the cutoff.....you just cut that portion complely off and trim the meat off, right?

GREAT tutorial. This will be a big help for those new to spares.:thumb:

Yup.....that's how I do it.

Quick question, though.....
I usually rinse all meat out of the cryopack under cold water then pat dry with paper towels. I've done this with chickens, turkeys, ribs, butts, brisket......EVERYTHING. I think I read that somewhere when I got started trimming/cooking meat.

I notice you didn't mention it here. I've always considered it a real PIA step. Not necessary?

ALSO.....when you say cut out the breastbone on the cutoff.....you just cut that portion complely off and trim the meat off, right?

GREAT tutorial. This will be a big help for those new to spares.:thumb:

I don't rinse raw meat with tap water unless I'm going to cook it fairly soon. I personally believe I would be adding more germs than I would be removing, especially if it just came out of a cryovac. I'm no expert in the field, but it just seems to make sense to me. Maybe a Brethren more informed on the subject would like to weigh in?

As for the breast bone, yes, I just cut it off and trim and save the meat. I also save the bone sometimes for browning and adding to my tomato sauce for flavor.

Nicely done - great pics, all that. That's my favorite type of ribs - thanks!

Very nicely done Mister Bob! Assuming that's you doing the trimming, nice work by the photographer as well!

Great tutorial but I find removing the rib tips first makes the skirt and membrane easier to remove...

And as for what to do with the trimmings, I cook them. They are great as they are or always make good smoked boiling meat...

Back