BBQ Joints from Florida to Michigan

jzadski

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey All, so I fully realize that things are much different with covid and all. Looking for some possible spots to grab a quick meal. Not necessarily taking 75 the whole route. Wife wants to aviod the Atlanta traffic. I looked and it seems like Jack's Ol South is closed and maybe it's a different location? Seemed different since the last time I looked it up. Thanks!

Where in Florida are you ending up?

If it’s not to far off your path, I’d put Lewis BBQ in Charleston SC up against any BBQ in the country. He worked at franklin bbq and la bbq in Austin then brought his knowledge to S.C. Best brisket and pork ribs I’ve ever had. His Thursday special is a Reuben made with house made pastrami that is the best sand which I’ve ever had. He also serves a green chili corn pudding that is incredible. It’s all great really. Also a really cool atmosphere

Last edited:
If it’s not to far off your path, I’d put Lewis BBQ in Charleston SC up against any BBQ in the country. He worked at franklin bbq and la bbq in Austin then brought his knowledge to S.C. Best brisket and pork ribs I’ve ever had. His Thursday special is a Reuben made with housemate pastrami that is the best sand which I’ve ever had. He also serves a green chili corn pudding that is incredible. It’s all great really. Also a really cool atmosphere

:clap: You had me at Franklin! Plotting it out right now Thanks!

I’ve had to make several trips to Charleston lately for family doctors appointments. Brisket sandwich from Lewis is always the go to. Definitely worth a stop. I second the green chills corn pudding and the Reuben. I haven’t been on a Thursday lately to get it. I used to recommend Rodney Scott’s place in Charleston also for whole hog pulled pork but it wasn’t that good the last time we went and we haven’t been back.

On your way through GA make a stop at https://www.carrollssausage.com/ exit 82 on I-75 They make their own sausage in a variety of flavors. At times they have sausage dogs for sale. There is a BBQ restaurant next door, we ate their once, and we'll just leave it at that.

Depending on what time of day you are passing through south GA there are a few ok BBQ options. Smoking pig, Valdosta exit 22, Keith A Que west off exit 82 (pulled pork is usually good, had a sandwich for lunch today, ribs can be good he cooks full spares, and Smoakies BBQ exit 102 I think. We have tried all of these and frequent them from time to time.

Blow the horn as you come by us and wave!

I arbitrarily chose Detroit as a destination in MI and got two basic routes from FL to MI using Google Maps.

One is I-75 and the other is I-77. I-77 runs thru SC, NC, and VA. I think I'd have to take the I-77 route one way.

woodpile bbq shack. 2 locations, Madison heights and clawson. both close to I-75. near the end of the trip but great brisket

If it’s not to far off your path, I’d put Lewis BBQ in Charleston SC up against any BBQ in the country. He worked at franklin bbq and la bbq in Austin then brought his knowledge to S.C. Best brisket and pork ribs I’ve ever had. His Thursday special is a Reuben made with house made pastrami that is the best sand which I’ve ever had. He also serves a green chili corn pudding that is incredible. It’s all great really. Also a really cool atmosphere

Agreed.

I was just there Friday night. It's right across the bridge from where I work. :thumb:

Don't forget about the Beef Ribs on Saturdays!

I think Rodney has been spreading himself a little thin and QC has gone downhill.

Any Jack's Old South restaurants around, as far as I know, are pretty much franchised or just pay for using the name. Myron is partnered in the restaurant 41 and Main in Tifton, Ga., and they are open, just check the website for hours and other info.

woodpile bbq shack. 2 locations, Madison heights and clawson. both close to I-75. near the end of the trip but great brisket

I know it's pitiful I have never made it there. I have met and talked with Bubba a couple of times. Quite a long time ago, back at the Birch Run BBQ contest. He was super kind and gave up some burnt ends he wasn't going to use. Wow were those awesome. Thanks!

Back