MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

Default Covid-que 2020

There's a sh*tfest going on over on FB "KCBS certified BBQ judges" page concerning KCBS sanctioning a contest in Franklin IN June 19-21 called
Covid-Que 2020. Two day contest.
It seems most are appalled at the name and the rest are arguing whether or not to cook or judge it.
Me, I wouldn't go near it.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Mod Note:

As ModelMaker indicated, this ‘discussion’ on Facebook is truly a sh*tfest. If anyone is planning on bringing that type of crap here, think again. We have no problem discussing the competition, whether folks should be competing right now, etc, but keep it within the Brethren rules, please.

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven

Last edited by Ron_L; 05-16-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

It's not the mandate of the KCBS to police possible offensive names. If that were the case there might not be some team names allowed at contests as well. If the organizers have their ducks in a row and meet all the KCBS criteria for their contest they get their sanction. Evidently the KCBS powers that review contest sanctions did not have any issues with the contest name or the organizers ability to run this event. Would I judge this event if it were local to me? Personally I'm not sure if I want others preparing my food right now by a bunch of unknown people with unknown health standards. This isn't food poisoning prevention we're dealing with that most teams have a good handle on.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I’d bet that it fills up with Teams and has no problems with getting enough Judges.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

I would not cook it or judge it. Not because of the name but if you read about the length of time that the virus lives on certain surfaces stainless and plastics are two of the worst. I have a degree in culinary management and stay very up on food safety but I know nothing about what we are dealing with as far as covid 19 goes and I could not imagine finding out that someone from that event was taken ill after it. I realize that it would probably be from exposure to another person but I would still feel terrible.

There is a reason the pizza chains etc. are stressing that no human makes contact with your food once it comes out of the 450 degree oven. I will not go to a restaurant or eat someone else's cooking for a long time. It is seldom that I do anyhow and I only go to certain places, I have seen behind the scenes in too many places
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
I’d bet that it fills up with Teams and has no problems with getting enough Judges.
I looked at the FB page earlier and they were over 60 teams.

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

I'm not surprised that more than enough folk on both sides of competition BBQ are willing to jump into the fray. I hope all goes well, we'll see.
Here are KCBS guidelines as to how a contest will proceed until further notice.

Please see below for the proactive measures KCBS advises all parties involved in a KCBS-sanctioned contest follow moving forward:

· All judging surfaces sanitized before judging and between each category (Rep Verified and accepted).
· Leftovers automatically disposed into trash. No Extras tables.
· Trash carried out of tent between categories.
· All judging participants wear gloves, use utensils, and change between categories. (Nitrile) No excuses of allergies to latex etc.
· Teams Must wear gloves when turning in entries and anti-bacterial wipes will be at the turn-in table and the team must wipe the external surface of the box at the table. (they will have to allow for extra time to make the KCBS window). This will not degrade the styrofoam box.
· Only essential personnel allowed into the tent. All Judge/Team meetings held as Open Air as possible. If possible, the judging tents if used have at least one open wall.
Table Captains will not take a seat in order to create more separation between the judges, i.e. 2 per side and one on each end. Where possible, double tables used so tables are essentially 8' long and twice as deep.
· Teams are asked to keep ample personal space during the contest and the prohibition of communal shots, i.e. the good luck shots where someone hosts and shots are poured out of one bottle and plastic cups provided. etc.
· Organizers are asked to make as much separation as possible of team spaces.
· If Portable toilets are utilized, a minimum of 1 unit for 10 judges and if portable hand washing stations are used, one wash station for every 12 judges as well. (recommended quantities)
· Anyone walking into the tent must immediately use hand sanitizer prior to putting on gloves. (exception of those bringing in the trays for turn-in but they must wear gloves.)
· During Meat Inspection, Team’s prep area must appear sanitary and teams must show possession of Disposable gloves, Sanitary Wipes or Spray, and Hand Sanitizer will be mandatory. If Inspector has a question as to the sanitary condition of the team’s area, the Rep has the final authority to refuse participation with no refund.

Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Really stuiped an organizer would name it that .... im on fence weather id cook it or not , i love to compete but this is a shaky line to say least .....
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

We would cook it without a doubt if we lived close enough. They have steps in place to mitigate the risks, that's the best we can do. Since I am not pc in any way, so I love the name!

Old 05-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Covid-que 2020?

I looked it up on the KCBS website. Only Covid-que I see is called Covid-que Relief

So did they change the name or are people outraged over nothing?
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

WELL THATS A GAME CHANGER THEN ....... figuers facebook drama cant get nothing right
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Covid-que 2020?

I looked it up on the KCBS website. Only Covid-que I see is called Covid-que Relief

They changed the name, and now they're saying that it's a benefit. Maybe it was before, but it was not promoted as such, to my understanding.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Covid-que 2020?

Name was changed after the fact. Also a blurb on the site about "portions of the proceeds" benefiting was added after the fact. They even referenced they didn't mention adding this was a "benefit" in the beginning because they rushed to get applications up for teams so people could start signing up...........believe what you will.........

From the FB Page "Much of what was done on the website yesterday was done very quickly to get the registration up for teams to register."

Taking 2mins to add this was a benefit from the very beginning takes zero effort. So seems like they rotated quickly after the backlash of the presumed initial real intent of simply having a contest to have a contest

I wonder what "portions" means

https://covidque2020.godaddysites.com/
"COVID-19 Awareness
On behalf of all of us bringing this contest to you, please be aware that we are putting this contest on to raise awareness of and drive relief efforts for COVID-19 in the greater Franklin, IN community. Portions of the proceeds from our Covid-Que Relief contest will go to help support COVID-Relief efforts in our community. We would also encourage all involved in the event to bring donations of Canned Goods, Hand Sanitizer, Gloves, Masks and/or monetary donations to the Judges and Cooks meetings at the event. We will be collecting those and sharing within those on the front lines in our community. Thank you for your continued support. "
3 Hunsaker Drums
Big Green Egg XL
Pitboss Copperhead 5
Pitboss Whiskey Still
Pitboss Tailgater
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #14
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Dawg77 View Post
WELL THATS A GAME CHANGER THEN ....... figuers facebook drama cant get nothing right
Yeah facebook is a great tool but any info you got to verify it with other resources. Guess I am just use to it.
Guess my time in N&P on the brethren has me conditioned to verify everything myself.
Although, I am really asking if the name was changed?
I don't see Ed spreading false information, at least not intentionally. So just being clear I am not calling Ed out.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Thanks guys you beat me to posting.
Kind of twisted then.
KCBS should not have sanctioned it then. Its in poor taste.
Now that its a benefit would you guys cook it?