trailer insulation

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to insulate the ceiling of my 6x12 cargo trailer. The walls are not insulated but have the factory wooden panels. Does anyone know if leaving the walls uninsulated would be a mistake or does it make that big of a difference?

Insulate it all or nothing. Defeats the purpose to leave the walls uninsulated. Check behind the wall panels and see if there is insulation put in there when the panels were installed.

I am going to insulate the ceiling of my 6x12 cargo trailer. The walls are not insulated but have the factory wooden panels. Does anyone know if leaving the walls uninsulated would be a mistake or does it make that big of a difference?

IMO you would be wasting the insulation. Especially where you are. My first trailer had walls, floors, ceilings and the 15K A/C strill struggled to keep up. And it was not a large cabin space.

The one I just ordered I asked for double insulation everywhere.

IMO you would be wasting the insulation. Especially where you are. My first trailer had walls, floors, ceilings and the 15K A/C strill struggled to keep up. And it was not a large cabin space.

The one I just ordered I asked for double insulation everywhere.

So double up or don't bother? Makes sense and you are not as close to the equator as I am LOL!

So double up or don't bother? Makes sense and you are not as close to the equator as I am LOL!

LOL. I would not say that, it was just a pain point for me on my first one. It was fine, but it basically had to run non-stop to keep up. It was a lot of wear on the unit and I was using tons of gas in the generator. Not a huge deal, but I was like man it shouldn't be this much work to keep 50 SQ FT at 75 degrees.

So that is why I went double. I was just saying insulate the walls along with the roof or don't bother.

LOL. I would not say that, it was just a pain point for me on my first one. It was fine, but it basically had to run non-stop to keep up. It was a lot of wear on the unit and I was using tons of gas in the generator. Not a huge deal, but I was like man it shouldn't be this much work to keep 50 SQ FT at 75 degrees.

So that is why I went double. I was just saying insulate the walls along with the roof or don't bother.

I got ya. My better half has reached her limit since our garage looks like the cooking section of Academy. When I mentioned a new trailer the silence in the room was scary LOL. So I'm going to try and put a few additions to the trailer I have until I am sure she did not take out an insurance policy that I am not aware of.

I’m kind of in the same boat. Would love to upgrade but I think of I do I will have to live in that upgrade. Lol.

But I have a limit to how far I’m gonna take it in upgrading and modifying my current trailer instead of just buying one decked out. I don’t mind still doing the tent thing for the most part. No more contest than I am able to do it’s not horrible to set up and tear down. If I was cooking 8-10 contests per year I would really want to have a more self contained rig.

Not to be overly blunt but the thing I would prefer even more than air conditioning is to have a rig that had its own bathroom and shower. Lol.

I’m kind of in the same boat. Would love to upgrade but I think of I do I will have to live in that upgrade. Lol.

But I have a limit to how far I’m gonna take it in upgrading and modifying my current trailer instead of just buying one decked out. I don’t mind still doing the tent thing for the most part. No more contest than I am able to do it’s not horrible to set up and tear down. If I was cooking 8-10 contests per year I would really want to have a more self contained rig.

Not to be overly blunt but the thing I would prefer even more than air conditioning is to have a rig that had its own bathroom and shower. Lol.

I agree with you on all your points. Can't justify a "Cadillac" trailer and maybe do 3 or 4 comps a season. I'll go the addition route with the trailer I have then I am sure a more complete set up will find it's way to my house lol. No doubt the bathroom set up would be great.

Man I tell you one of the best things I ever did was really thing about my primitive setup and how I could make it better......well primitive in comparison to lots of other rigs anyway.

And what I did was put nearly every single thing I could on wheels. And I did put some shelves etc inside my trailer and set my tents up in such a way that the trailer becomes a crucial part of the setup. So outside of carrying my tents and chairs off the trailer most everything else rolls off the trailer, or stays on the trailer or stays on the back of my truck. It has helped a bunch in making things easier and more fun and organized.

I also need to edit myself some because I have too much stuff with me every time, but I can’t help thinking in a worst case scenario I may need that. Lol.

Man I tell you one of the best things I ever did was really thing about my primitive setup and how I could make it better......well primitive in comparison to lots of other rigs anyway.

And what I did was put nearly every single thing I could on wheels. And I did put some shelves etc inside my trailer and set my tents up in such a way that the trailer becomes a crucial part of the setup. So outside of carrying my tents and chairs off the trailer most everything else rolls off the trailer, or stays on the trailer or stays on the back of my truck. It has helped a bunch in making things easier and more fun and organized.

I also need to edit myself some because I have too much stuff with me every time, but I can’t help thinking in a worst case scenario I may need that. Lol.

Yes indeed. I've done many comps and worked so hard just setting up and breaking down that it became discouraging. The last comp I did my focus was on streamlining my setup and becoming more efficient/productive in the actual cooking and prep. Trailer was organized, outside was a minimum of only what I needed as if I were there by myself and overall it cut down on so many distractions. No coincidence that I placed in 2 of 3 categories with brisket as high as 4th. Kind of reminds me of what a golf instructor told me once. He said "good golf is boring golf". Routine and a disciplined approach every single shot might be boring but your score will benefit.

Yes indeed. I've done many comps and worked so hard just setting up and breaking down that it became discouraging. The last comp I did my focus was on streamlining my setup and becoming more efficient/productive in the actual cooking and prep. Trailer was organized, outside was a minimum of only what I needed as if I were there by myself and overall it cut down on so many distractions. No coincidence that I placed in 2 of 3 categories with brisket as high as 4th. Kind of reminds me of what a golf instructor told me once. He said "good golf is boring golf". Routine and a disciplined approach every single shot might be boring but your score will benefit.

Yep. I remember a few years ago, our setup was so much (and we were more of a drinking team than a BBQ team at that point anyways), and the tear down was such a bear that we always dreaded doing it and put it off until as late as practical. Many times, it was after awards. As we got more serious about the BBQ side, we agreed that after last turn in, we were tearing everything down. Period. No rest, no relax, just clean and pack. That made us get more practical and pair down what we brought, as we were ready to sit (and drink a beer)!

Now, we have a porch trailer that makes our clean up a lot easier too, and every year we get quicker and more efficient. It really took that first step, though, and once you see the benefits, you naturally want to make it even better.

I have actually started to break down things throughout the morning starting at about 5am and slowly as I have a few minutes here and there during the times of like 5am until about 9am and slowly take things down like our rope lights, and some of the extension cords and anything that we dont need to use to finish up. It keeps me busy until the real action kicks in.

Then by the time you get to the end of brisket turn in, I have probably saved us 30-40 minutes in tear down.

It takes us about an hour to set up and about an hour to a hour and half to tear down and get everything back loaded for travel.

Like you guys, we do not wait....once brisket is turned in, we may set around for 10-20 minutes at the most and then we get busy. We try to make sure we are fully loaded and ready to go by awards......hell, there have even been a few times that we are so done with loading etc, that by the time we go to awards we will actually start the truck and have the AC running wide open to make sure the truck is frigid when we get done with rewards.......lol

Midwest_KC and Masque13 I'm with you both on that. Learned that clean up routine a little quicker in the game. I figured as many times as I watched others get a call that only made the clean up even worse LOL.

Midwest_KC and Masque13 I'm with you both on that. Learned that clean up routine a little quicker in the game. I figured as many times as I watched others get a call that only made the clean up even worse LOL.

I literally designed my comp truck around the concept of making setup and tear down as easy as possible for one person :). Makes it more fun if you don't have to work so hard, especially by yourself.

Back