Turkey on the UDS?

R

Radical Rick

I would love to hear from some of you guys on your results on tips while smooking a turkey on your UDS. Pics would be even better, but all other details will be most important! 8)

I did a turkey last Thanksgiving. Spatch-cocked it, put salt and pepper and a little butter under the skin (really just a little). Smoked it, with a pecan and oak mix, on the top rack at 225 until it got to 175 or so (I don't recall exact temp., look around this site for the exact temp) Applied beer liberally to the chef (me) for a couple of hours.

Wife said it was the best turkey she ever had and it was the only way we would ever cook a turkey from now on...

2 brothers in law both said it was OK. which is high praise coming from them. Course the younger of the two did a brisket in 3 hours and pronounced it great, I thought a shoe would have tasted better, but I flooded it with sauce and then praised his homemade sauce (it was bad too). That's another story...

But, turkey on the UDS is great.

IMG_1205.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

Have done several. I brine mine and run it a little hotter and don't forget to chill breast before cooking.

What a timely topic. I don't have a UDS but got a turkey. Under $6 at Walmart. I'll be giving it a go on the chargriller on Sunday if it thaws.

I did two on my drum last year worked out great! Rubbed down wrapped in cheese cloth for the first half of the cook then unwraped for the remaining.

Attachments

• DSC01115.jpg
    DSC01115.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC01118.jpg
    DSC01118.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC01119.jpg
    DSC01119.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01120.jpg
    DSC01120.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 203
Never done one but sure am goin to give it a try...These birds look sooo good...

Hey Norcoredneck...Where did you come across the bird rack...Is that venting heat internally??

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

Have done several. I brine mine and run it a little hotter and don't forget to chill breast before cooking.

I've smoked many a turkey on my chargriller. They always come out great. The little red, pop-out thermothingamajigs work pretty good too, lol.

Ive seen the turkey cannons in magazines, Norco, how do you like it?

My dad used to smoke a turkey every year, but I've never tried one. Y'all are motivating me, though. We have a turkey breast in the freezer right now...

Well it looks like I know what I will be doing on Thanksgiving. Those look GREAT!!!!!!!

You mean like this? Ive done turkeys for the past 3 years on my Drum... Brined, Unbrined, or Spatched. Everyone loves them

EDIT... OOPS.. sorry I double checked and realized this was on a Kettle... brainfart MOD

Attachments

• Turkey.jpg
    Turkey.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 119
Back