MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #166
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Hil Ar eee ous
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #167
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You spelled bump wrong.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #168
smokinQ2
On the road to being a farker

That was dang funny!!! Sounds like you guys scripted it??

Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #169
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
You spelled bump wrong.
Yeah its suppose to be "Tri Tip Rules"

Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #170
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You spelled bump wrong.

You Sir, are a trouble maker
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #171
deguerre

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #172
deguerre

Brisket = catfood?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #173
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Brisket = catfood?
How dare you insult cat food like that!

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #174
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
How dare you insult cat food like that!

Good looking out, Ryan
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #175
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Good looking out, Ryan

Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #176
Thawley
Take a breath!

<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
I wondered what the big deal about brisket was too, until I farking NAILED my 4th attempt. A select 10lb packer that was on my drum for 14 hours followed by a cooler for 5 hours. I slept for 6 hours through the night too. I didn't inject it, just a simple dry rub and low and slow heat. It was the best meat of the shindig (which included spares and pulled pork) and it was "nirvana". The flavor imparted into those 10 glorious lbs of beef was unlike that of any steak or other beef cut I've ever eaten. If I spend the rest of my life chasing that flavor down again than so be it. Long live brisket!
FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #177
ozlites
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ozzy

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #178
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
<––––– Born in Texas, rasied in SoCal, college in San Luis Obispo (just up the road from the tri-tip capitol or the world, Santa Maria, CA)

My thoughts:
1. Saying you've had "properly prepared brisket" only counts if you've eaten it in Lockhart TX. There are plenty of variations of "good" brisket I gather comp judges do give awards for. Let's just agree that if you've never been to Lockhart, you're lacking in the credibility dept. when talking about brisket. No matter what the f-ing KCBS judges say...

2. Point & flat are real different – although they must be made together. The OP said "I think a brisket flat is one of the most overrated meats in the BBQ world." He didn't say brisket. He said brisket flat. He didn't say Sucks, Lousy or Hate. He said overrated. Fair enough. I feed it to guests who don't know any better, also.

3. I think of tri-tip as BBQ fast food. Quick, tasty & satisfying. Not very hard to fix. Perfect in many situations. Though not all.

4. Unlike brisket, no need traveling to the tri-tip's temple of lore to see how it "should be done." The locals poor salsa all over it quicker than you can say no. Idiots. (But the sourdough bread they serve it with is worth having FedExed.)

5. The most important ingredient to any prepared dish is Love. Brisket stands alone among beef cuts in that regard. The post below says it better than I can.

FYI – we had a neighborhood throwdown last year for about 300 people: my Texas style UDS brisket vs. my Santa Maria-born buddy's tri-tip – which is as good as I've ever had. I won. And there was leftover tri-tip.
Well said sir!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #179
bigabyte

I can't believe I just read this thread! Crazy talk!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #180
gtr

I've skimmed over it. Apparently someone has a beef with something? Is there a point to it? Someone get rubbed the wrong way? Maybe we should give it a rest, but of course any attempt to do that will most likely be foiled.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
appreciation threads