Releasing Derek's House Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe!

I made this sauce on Sunday, my wife was out of town with the camera, so no pictures. It is really good, the only thing different I did was to buzz the pepper mixture with my stick blender after the 45 minute cool down to make it a really smooth sauce, something I really like. I found everything I needed at Publix, including the same pepper pack you had Derek. This stuff is really good, nice bite and really good on the spatchcock chicken I smoked in cherry wood! Thanks for the recipe....

I have no problem finding most peppers around here I have a bag of Chipotle peppers so that was not an issue. However, the only jalapeno's available were green, so I had to improvise. normally I can dig and find some red ones at least, but not on this particular trip.

I added the remaining wet ingredients after the cool down and I also hit it with my stick blender. The corn starch gives it quite a sheen, you can see the reflection of me taking the pic, along with the kitchen window, siding, and soffit on the house.
Blended.jpg

It's all set to simmer and thicken now until it's ready. Depending on the texture, I may run it through my BlendTec afterwards. My stick blender didn't quite get it as smooth as I would have hoped, at least from eyeballing it anyway.

I have no problem finding most peppers around here I have a bag of Chipotle peppers so that was not an issue. However, the only jalapeno's available were green, so I had to improvise. normally I can dig and find some red ones at least, but not on this particular trip.

I added the remaining wet ingredients after the cool down and I also hit it with my stick blender. The corn starch gives it quite a sheen, you can see the reflection of me taking the pic, along with the kitchen window, siding, and soffit on the house.
Blended.jpg

It's all set to simmer and thicken now until it's ready. Depending on the texture, I may run it through my BlendTec afterwards. My stick blender didn't quite get it as smooth as I would have hoped, at least from eyeballing it anyway.
Very cool Chris, So hae you tried the end result yet?

Nope, it's on the long simmer now and I did not taste it after blending the final stuff together with the stick blender. I'll let you know what I think when it's ready though.

Very cool you will like/love it a lot and your taste buds will be ruined for other bbq sauces.

Told you the starch had a big part in it.

I have been tasting it now that it is thickening up pretty good, and I give it two thumbs up!:thumb::thumb:

I need to say however, keep in mind this is a SALT-FREE sauce. This makes it quite different from other BBQ Sauces, much in the way a salt-free rub tastes quite different than one with salt. Seeing as how Derek's intent was to make a sauces with no salt, then this is in my opinion a success. I have not had many (if any) salt free BBQ sauces before however to compare it against however.

Now, because it is salt-free, it is hard to judge on the balance of the 5 tastes, because there is no salty to interact the other flavors. Also, since there is no salt, the flavor is more muted than it would be with salt, but this stuff has a lot of concentrated flavor in there from the ingredients, it is not watered down at all.

It is a thick dark sauce that is Sweet and Spicy for sure, with some Bitter notes coming from the liberal use of peppers. Personally, I think it could use a bit more Sour flavor, but that is just my personal preference (I like vinegar flavor to make it's presence known in my sauces) and there are many popular brands of thick BBQ sauce that do not have a distinct vinegary or sour taste to them.

That leaves only Salty and Umami totally out of the taste department in this sauce. Based on the sodium restrictions this is probably unavoidable. It's a good sauce though (I did say that, right?) but be prepared for this lack of salty/umami flavor.

About the heat level, I am a bit of a chile head, and this has some noticeable warmth. I do not find it uncomfortable, just rather warm. I think the average person would find it rather hot, so if you do not like it spicy, make alternate arrangements on the peppers.

I took some of it into a bowl and experimented with adding some salt, rubs, etc, to get the other flavors I mentioned were lacking. I was honestly happiest with the result of adding apple cider vinegar, my own rub, and some dulse flakes in there, which contains flavors I mentioned were missing, and the rest simply pairs up with flavors already in the sauce for the most part. I have no measurements to share, I was just sprinkling and tasting until it was right.

I am letting the sauce thicken up even more, so i have not taken any finished pictures yet. I wanted to share my thoughts on the taste though.:cool:

I have some left over fatties in the fridge...think I'll pour some over some slices...

I have been tasting it now that it is thickening up pretty good, and I give it two thumbs up!:thumb::thumb:

I need to say however, keep in mind this is a SALT-FREE sauce. This makes it quite different from other BBQ Sauces, much in the way a salt-free rub tastes quite different than one with salt. Seeing as how Derek's intent was to make a sauces with no salt, then this is in my opinion a success. I have not had many (if any) salt free BBQ sauces before however to compare it against however.

Now, because it is salt-free, it is hard to judge on the balance of the 5 tastes, because there is no salty to interact the other flavors. Also, since there is no salt, the flavor is more muted than it would be with salt, but this stuff has a lot of concentrated flavor in there from the ingredients, it is not watered down at all.

It is a thick dark sauce that is Sweet and Spicy for sure, with some Bitter notes coming from the liberal use of peppers. Personally, I think it could use a bit more Sour flavor, but that is just my personal preference (I like vinegar flavor to make it's presence known in my sauces) and there are many popular brands of thick BBQ sauce that do not have a distinct vinegary or sour taste to them.

That leaves only Salty and Umami totally out of the taste department in this sauce. Based on the sodium restrictions this is probably unavoidable. It's a good sauce though (I did say that, right?) but be prepared for this lack of salty/umami flavor.

About the heat level, I am a bit of a chile head, and this has some noticeable warmth. I do not find it uncomfortable, just rather warm. I think the average person would find it rather hot, so if you do not like it spicy, make alternate arrangements on the peppers.

I took some of it into a bowl and experimented with adding some salt, rubs, etc, to get the other flavors I mentioned were lacking. I was honestly happiest with the result of adding apple cider vinegar, my own rub, and some dulse flakes in there, which contains flavors I mentioned were missing, and the rest simply pairs up with flavors already in the sauce for the most part. I have no measurements to share, I was just sprinkling and tasting until it was right.

I am letting the sauce thicken up even more, so i have not taken any finished pictures yet. I wanted to share my thoughts on the taste though.:cool:
A long read but it was a very nice review.

Try smoking it some and the umami flavor may rear its head a bit.....

Tasty! Definitely good on the fatties!:thumb: Good stuff Derek, thanks for sharing.:cool:

Crap! I should have taken pictures!:doh:

Try smoking it some and the umami flavor may rear its head a bit.....
I think you're right about that. On those fatties the flavor was very robust. The sausage had salt of course, and had been smoked. It was quite good.:clap2:

Thanks for the recipe!
No problem man, Its the least I can do for the good amount of advice I got.

Tasty! Definitely good on the fatties!:thumb: Good stuff Derek, thanks for sharing.:cool:

Well there is always next time and your quite welcome.

I think you're right about that. On those fatties the flavor was very robust. The sausage had salt of course, and had been smoked. It was quite good.:clap2:
Actually I've designed that recipe that way, So what ever the food it goes the umami comes out.

( it took me a year to develop from a very simple mustard base docter pepper recipe I found on the net long time ago )

Hey Chris, Dilute some of the BBQ sauce in some kind of little bowl or a ramicon and inject it into a hot dog.

Trust me you will love them that way with the sauce in!
527806248_yZnaX-L-2.jpg

527806194_RPRr7-L.jpg

527806123_BcQ5X-L.jpg

""This was before the Salt restriction got placed""

I used the search button to find this thread. I have enjoyed the taste of Dr. Pepper for years. It sounds really tatsty. Thanks for sharing your secret "stuff" I have subscribed to this thread, and I will try this sauce soon, I have to gather some ingredients.

Thanks for the recipe!

I used the search button to find this thread. I have enjoyed the taste of Dr. Pepper for years. It sounds really tatsty. Thanks for sharing your secret "stuff" I have subscribed to this thread, and I will try this sauce soon, I have to gather some ingredients.
Your welcome guys, Wow I totaly forgot about this thread!

Update March 31, 5:00pm ( added new different but same ingredient )
By the way every the sauce is updated yet again ( Now I use 100 to 400 year old Balsamic vinegar in my recipe )

Your welcome guys, Wow I totaly forgot about this thread!

Update March 31, 5:00pm ( added new different but same ingredient )
By the way every the sauce is updated yet again ( Now I use 100 to 400 year old Balsamic vinegar in my recipe )

100-400 yr old Balsamic vinegar ??? :confused:

I have no idea .... I'm not doubting you can get 100 yr old vinegar, but my guess is that it would be extremely expensive (likely hundreds if not thousands of $)...well beyond a homemade BBQ sauce budget....

4000 yrs old ?? doubt it...

100-400 yr old Balsamic vinegar ??? :confused:

I have no idea .... I'm not doubting you can get 100 yr old vinegar, but my guess is that it would be extremely expensive (likely hundreds if not thousands of $)...well beyond a homemade BBQ sauce budget....

4000 yrs old ?? doubt it...
I don't know about the 4000 year old stuff but the 100 - 400 year old stuff is $50 - $79 for 8oz bottle ( via google )

As great as this sauce sounds....im not sure i would use the expensive stuff for it. The cost/benefit cant possibly outdo a standard balsamic glaze. Save that awesome aged stuff for a nice drizzle over tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.

Big props though Derek on the sauce, i personally love to create bbq sauce out of soda and Dr Pepper tends to be one of my favorites. Now you just need to make Mt Dew Chicken :)

As great as this sauce sounds....im not sure i would use the expensive stuff for it. The cost/benefit cant possibly outdo a standard balsamic glaze. Save that awesome aged stuff for a nice drizzle over tomato, mozzarella, and fresh basil.

Big props though Derek on the sauce, i personally love to create bbq sauce out of soda and Dr Pepper tends to be one of my favorites. Now you just need to make Mt Dew Chicken :)
Sounds good GLD, I may end up doing a mol-a sauce with mt dew! Or a Orange sauce with Mt Dew ( orange )

Back