MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Default What would you buy?

I scored a Restaurant Depot card from a lady at work so I took a spin by there but they were closing in 20 mins so I only got to do a quick browse over the meats. Right as I walked in, there sat 20lb bags of Royal Oak lump- for 6.99 Home Depot wanted that for 8.8 lbs!

Anywhoo back to my main ? They have Spare ribs untrimmed for 1.59lb. 3 to a pack and they averaged between 11 & 13lbs. (1.39 case price) And they have St Louis spare ribs for 2.69lb (2.49 a case) 3 to a pack and averaged about 7 or 8 pounds for 3 racks. That weight seemed kinna low for 3 racks of ST Louis? I really have nothing to go by as I have never bought or weighed out 3 racks of spares trimmed to St Louis, but the didn't look all that much bigger than the Baby back racks. They looked really well trimmed and all squared up nice tho.

I'm pretty sure they were IBP pork just to let you know. Is there any difference between the Sams club spares, I don't know what brand they are, and the IBP brand of RD?

So what do you guys and gals think the better deal is? Would the extra 1.10 a pound be worth (I know it's not a big deal) not having to trim them down? I know the other half would not be into eating the trimmings of the spare ribs, I would be tho; plus from reading I hear the trimmed meat is a nice addition to beans and stuff also.

Thanks so much in advance for all your opinions

One more thing I guess I could add here for a mod to see. I sent a private message to, BBQchef33 a couple days ago about info on going about sending a check in for subscription (I don't have PayPal). Not sure if I did it right or not but it does show I have one outgoing message. Anyways I look forward to the directions on sending in money for a subscription.

Thanks,

Steve
rocky2298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I say go with untrimmed. Why pay someone to take the tips, flaps and knuckles?? Thats good snackin there. Trim them yourself, save the trimmings and put them in your beans.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Buy untrimmed and cut them up yourself. Those trimmings can be good.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

When it comes to Restraunt Depot ribs, I stay away. I like the quality of the ribs from Sams/Costco much better. The butts and briskets on the other hand are outstanding. Great selections and plenty of them.

This is my opinion so I know what I can do with it.
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah I have to agree, and the little more I think about it this was a pretty dumb question

Thanks

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
When it comes to Restraunt Depot ribs, I stay away. I like the quality of the ribs from Sams/Costco much better. The butts and briskets on the other hand are outstanding. Great selections and plenty of them.

This is my opinion so I know what I can do with it.
Thanks for that opinion on the ribs! The Butts and Briskets really did look outstanding, and a big selection like you said. I forget what the price was for Butts, I think 1.59lb. Choice Brisket was 1.69.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

The ribs I got from there were nice.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
rocky2298
Full Fledged Farker

Seems like by what little I could find without the search feature here.. Both Sam's and RD sell IBP ribs? I have to say the trimmed up Louis ribs looked killer. The spareribs were feeling like a bad set of boob job when I picked it up, which kind of turned me off, and in turned my asking the "what would you buy."

My head is spinning before I even do my first cook

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #9
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

I agree with Frank, I usually get my ribs at costco and butts and brisket at RD.

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
GMG Davy Crockett
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just cancelled a case of ribs from my distributor in favor of Costco ribs. They are better and most if not all are untrimmed; however, I am talking BBs here.

I do prefer their spares as well (Costco). Costco is hard to beat when it comes to choice beef, pork, lamb, etc.