Goodness from the FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle: First Pizza Cook of 2011

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Since it's warmed up here after a month of near nonstop rain, we decided to fire up the FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle. We did two pies, a traditional tomato basil, and tried a Thai Chicken Pizza. The Thai Chicken was amazing- I really enjoyed the complexity of flavors and it was a nice departure from the usual Italian style pies we've been doing so much of.

Here's a group shot:

DSCN3909.jpg

And here's a closeup of the Thai Chicken:

DSCN3907.jpg

For the sauce and toppings on the Thai pizza, we used a homemade peanut sauce, a bit of whole milk mozz, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, and topped with cilantro after we pulled it from the kettle. Delicioso!

Thanks for the link Moose.

I've done "brick oven" pizzas on my Brinkmann charcoal grill....loaded it up with lump, placed some bricks on the grill, waited until it got to 500°F and put the pizzas on the bricks....they came out pretty good.

Thanks for the link Moose.

I've done "brick oven" pizzas on my Brinkmann charcoal grill....loaded it up with lump, placed some bricks on the grill, waited until it got to 500°F and put the pizzas on the bricks....they came out pretty good.

The great thing about the kettle set up is you can get the stone temps up to 700-800 degrees, no problem. I usually cook at about 725 using AP flour, although with Caputo or "00" flour, you can easily cook at much higher temps.

My pies come out cooked in about 3 minutes, and the texture of the crust is MUCH better than you would get cooking in an oven or grill at 500-550 degrees.

I'm going to have another go but try for a higher temp on my Excel 20 (when the weather is better)

The one's I did did come out alright though, they took about 4 maybe 5 minutes but I did make the dough as thin as I could

Oh man ..great looking pies.
Going to try and make some this weekend if we're not buried in snow again.
The tomato basil pizzas look awesome, but good tomatoes in this neck of the woods are tough to find this time of year.
Yum :clap2::clap2:

Back