Anyone ever build a steam device for BBQ pit?

tamu91

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a converted 250 gallon propane tank and attached firebox as my pit. I have seen many of the new comp style cookers on the market include water trays above the firebox for steaming. I have put roasting pans with water in them in the pit before, but they just dont get hot enough or big enough to steam in a pit this size. I was thinking about building a tank on top of my fire box and then running a pipe with outlet holes out of it and into the smoke box in hopes of pumping enough steam into the chamber. Anyone ever tried, seen, or failed at this?

Attachments

• IMG00009-20091222-1543.jpg
    IMG00009-20091222-1543.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 169
I use the aluminum pans for my offset and seems to work fine for what i want. How hot are you cooking?? I usually cook between 250-275

That can be seriously dangerous ya know.

i usually cook in the 225-250 range. the problem i find with the pans is after drippings start flowing good, they get in the pans and end up creating a layer of grease that will not let the steam escape very well. I guess i could design something to catch the drippings, or deflect off the water pans.

is it because of the potential pressure build up in water tank? would the pipe with holes drilled in it in multiple spots not be enough to minimze the pressure?

is it because of the potential pressure build up in water tank? would the pipe with holes drilled in it in multiple spots not be enough to minimze the pressure?

I think there are a lot of variables there, that create some potential for trouble. How big is your tank, how much water will you add, volume of the pipe, size of outlets, temp range you will cook in? You will also be robbing the fire/coals of some BTUs. :becky: But, I'm just a Sip....

I think there are a lot of variables there, that create some potential for trouble. How big is your tank, how much water will you add, volume of the pipe, size of outlets, temp range you will cook in? You will also be robbing the fire/coals of some BTUs. :becky: But, I'm just a Sip....

LOL! :thumb: Ah those T-Sips and their pressure logic...

Just don't pressurize the tank. Builf a square box on top of your fire box and pipe it into your cooker. But adding steam is useless than BOOBIES on a boar hogs

Steam on BBQ??????? 8(-

Why not just take an oven with you:doh:
Or take the whole stove,next he'll want to attach a searing grill for 30min. Brisket:crazy:.
Give 'em books and they eat the covers:roll:
have fun and

Back