Anyone do steaks on a UDS?

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
No pics so it didnt happen, but just for discussion sake.
I have done several steaks on my drums. I dont do them over a hot grate but just let them go @250ish til i get to the desired medium rare or what ever is requested. I have to say I have never had a better flavored steak. If you have never tried this method you are really missing out!

I have done it sorta like this. Maybe 24 inches off the coals for about 30 minutes, then drop then to an inch or two over the coals for a minute or less on each side.

I did a tri-tip 275 on the drum with apple wood and lump .rubbed .smoked till 145 and rested it was so good i used the left overs for chili good eats

Well I'm with you on this, but I'm using the MINI Drum. I don't care for charred meats, so the 15 gallon drum is perfect for steaks the way I like them.

CAB Ribeyes

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Flank Steak

IMG_0527_1.jpg

IMG_0531_1.jpg

Tri-Tip

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

I've never paid attention to the center grate temps, but I start out low and give them some smoke then open all the drafts and finish them off.

IMG_0485.jpg

that all looks delicious! I did a whole Ribeye the other day over apple. Took it to 125 the sliced and finished per request from the guys at the dealership I am working at. I gotta do that more often!

Well I'm with you on this, but I'm using the MINI Drum. I don't care for charred meats, so the 15 gallon drum is perfect for steaks the way I like them.

What grates do you use for the 15 gallon drum, I ca get a couple of more and might as well make a small grill. Are they the 18.5"?

that all looks delicious! I did a whole Ribeye the other day over apple. Took it to 125 the sliced and finished per request from the guys at the dealership I am working at. I gotta do that more often!

Man I wish I worked with you. Need a new service manager? Advisor? Shop foreman? Okay, how about oil change guy or detail?

Jeff,
I do steaks, chops, tri-tip and chicken on the UDS and love the flavors. Smoke at 225-250 up to the desired temp and scarf em down. When I have time I smoke em instead of grillin them. The UDG has been gettin some rest lately due to that.

Hope to be in KC for Xmas, might have to kidnap the drum again, lol. Maybe we can plan lunch somewhere with the Mad Scientist and some other brethren.

forgot to mention I smoked four filets the other night with the Rib O Lator and they came out great. I know, no pron didn't happen but the Woodford Reserve got in the way of the picture taking.

Never tried em at low temps. I like my rib eyes a little burnt on the outside and medium rare plus inside, so i believe in super high temps for them and only one flip. But i'll try it.

Well haven't done them IN the drum yet and I do like a little char on my rib eyes so this is how they were done. This is on the drums' charcoal basket.

P9200281-1.jpg

Three minutes per side and just for fun, hit them with a bit of herb butter at the finish!

P9200283-1.jpg

YUMMY!

What grates do you use for the 15 gallon drum, I ca get a couple of more and might as well make a small grill. Are they the 18.5"?

Weber 14" Smokey Joe cook and Charcoal grates.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

The Smokey Joe lid fits perfectly on the drum AND on the lid, I use it for beer can chicken or snuffing the coals.

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

I'm, at work now. I just measured it. Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be picking up a Smokey Joe this weekend.

No pics so it didnt happen, but just for discussion sake.
I have done several steaks on my drums. I dont do them over a hot grate but just let them go @250ish til i get to the desired medium rare or what ever is requested. I have to say I have never had a better flavored steak. If you have never tried this method you are really missing out!

those steaks look great. i just brought home Mexican. iv cooked steaks on the rib-o-lator a number of times, i apply some grillmore sweet rub and they turned out great. one nice thing about cooking on the rib-o-lator is, there are no grease fires, so the only way my steak gets consumed, is by me..

Back