MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
archrmike
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Bandera smoker question

Has anyone out there with a Bandera smoker lowered the firebox to increase the heat to the smoke chamber? I used mine for the first time to do 3 chickens last week and was surprised how much charcoal was needed to maintain heat yet the firebox was screaming hot. Last I checked, heat rises so it didn't make a lot of sense to have the slot for the smoke and heat between chambers on the bottom. I made the baffle and that worked well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If I need to go to a wood fire, I will but I think lowering the box might be the key.
Thanks!
Mike
archrmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

The Bandera firebox lid design pretty much sucks. If it were just a flat plate, it would perform much better. Probably cheaper to make too.

What I've done to both of my Bandera's is to get sone stainless steel sheet, bend it into an arch, insert it into the lid cavity and let it spring back into shate (thereby securing it into the lid)

Here's a pic:

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
archrmike

They say the memory is the first thing to go. I was thinking the firebox was even higher than it really is until I saw your picture. First time user of the Bandera is more than obvious now..... I like your idea. Gets the heat over faster without getting caught up in the lid.
I see you are burning wood. Any issues with ashes getting over on the food? I see there are some other modifications that can be done to help. I also had the problem with air flow below the charcoal which I see the fix to.
Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

here's my trick when doing high (say 275* to 325*) heat cooks in a bandera. i find that if the smoke chamber is slightly higher then the fire box my temp increase. just be prepared to address the grease that will accumulate

and your slot is on the bottom??

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Divemaster

Don't know if you checked out this one...

Bandera 101 Document

It's kind of the tell all from those before us....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Easy fix is to wrap one of the racks in heavy foil and place it on the fire box top brackets designed for grilling.

I never had enough meat to fill the smoke chamber so I used foil on one of those racks above what I was cooking with a hole the size of the top went to let the smoke out to reduce the amount of fuel I had to burn. Called it the heat shield.

Hope this helps.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

archrmike;1033270 asked: Any issues with ashes getting over on the food?

No. None. Ever

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archrmike View Post
Has anyone out there with a Bandera smoker lowered the firebox to increase the heat to the smoke chamber? I used mine for the first time to do 3 chickens last week and was surprised how much charcoal was needed to maintain heat yet the firebox was screaming hot. Last I checked, heat rises so it didn't make a lot of sense to have the slot for the smoke and heat between chambers on the bottom. I made the baffle and that worked well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If I need to go to a wood fire, I will but I think lowering the box might be the key.
Thanks!
Mike
Are you still cooking on the floor of your firebox? What I noticed helped me a lot was to raise the fire up and being diligent with ash removal. I put a pan under the coals that could be pulled out and emptied. In the beginning i was dumping chimney upon chimney and fighting to get temp.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Are you still cooking on the floor of your firebox? What I noticed helped me a lot was to raise the fire up and being diligent with ash removal. I put a pan under the coals that could be pulled out and emptied. In the beginning i was dumping chimney upon chimney and fighting to get temp.
Agreed!

When I got my Bandera, the "fire grate and ash pan" were an obvious design flaw. I never used them other than as a ash catcher.

Sacrafice a grill grate and put on the lowest firebox level, or use metal supports rather than a grill grate, and do the expanded steel fire grate modification in the Bandera 101 document.

You will need all of those 3 or so inches of airspace below this new fire grate and the ash pan to clear out ashes on longer cooks.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Here's a post from my firebox mods... helped a bunch with temp and fire management.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...78&postcount=1

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
archrmike

Thanks everyone for the info. I will play some more this weekend with some babybacks.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

The smokebox opening is already at the top of the firebox on my Bandera. You are using charcoal in a stick burner and now you're blaming the cooker for your results. I think you might want to look at exactly how you're using the charcoal.

I lined the bottom of my firebox with firebrick. Didn't do the sides. I put my firegrate on the lowest grill rack. I don't use the Bandera firegrate, I just cut out a piece of expando the size of the whole firebox and framed it in in 1/4" strap for a little rigidity. This lifts the fire up some to get enormously improved airflow below.
I don't have any problem with the Bandera firebox lid design. As long as it seals OK, not much hot air is going to flow up there because it will just have to flow back down again. So you might want to check out how your firebox top is fitting. You need to work it until it has a reasonable seal. That way the heat goes into the smokebox where it's supposed to.

You are cooking with the smokebox damper fully open, right?

Also, is your charcoal really really dry? Back when I used to try to use charcoal in my NB cookers, I used to be frustrated with temp drops too. I think you have to vigorously stir the coals sometimes. I used to blow oxygen onto them to get them to heat up again.

I just like cooking with bone dry fruitwood splits so much better. Little tiny fire, add a split or two every 30 minutes, works perfect.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
archrmike

Seriously, wasn't blaming the cooker. The results were actually fantastic and if the smoker was perfect as is, why would there be so many modifications made to improve it on here? Simply was not that happy with the heat control and this is something I am new at with an offset so I was simbply asking questions.

It does sound like i need to move the firegrate up for sure. And I was going to also put in the firebrick. Thanks for the imput.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

and also dont go by the door thermometer. Temps inside the chamber can be significantly higher.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
archrmike

Holy cow BBQchef, my wife thought I had too many smokers and grills.......Will you adopt me?