Hour per pound?

C

Crentist

How many of you would stick to the general rule of thumb 1 to 1.25 hours per pound for brisket? Especially for the smaller briskets. If say you had a small 4 pound flat would it be reasonable to think it would be done in only 4-5 hours?

I think you will find the answer will be, yes. The true answer will be when the Temp probe slides into the meat like butter you are there.

I stick to the the rule...

"It's done when it's done."

Same here.
If you smoker is at 225 it will take a certain amount of time to cook.
If your smoker is at 325 it will take much less time to acheive the same internal temp.

I has NOTHING to do with the time in the smoker.

It's all about the internal temp of the meat. So, check the temp of the meat and it's done when it's done.

If you run the pit at 250 degrees, I have found that 3/4 hours per pound and wrap at the 5 hour mark works pretty good. At 225 degrees the hour is probably pretty close.

I start with 1.5 hr/lb and go from there - it's done whtn it's done. I would rather have it done earlier then I thought and allow it to rest in a cooler then to try to rush it cause I have a hungry mob breathing down my neck....

Also, I have found that smaller cuts take longer per pound to cook, so a 12 lb packer may cook in one hour per pound but a 4 lb flat may take 1 1/2 hours per pound. As L-M said, it's better to have it done early and resting.

Back