MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Penguinboy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Combination Brick Pit/ Bread/Pizza Oven- Possible??

Hi all-

Been reading here for a while, and this is my first post!

I've been planning a brick BBQ pit for a while now and me and my wife have been looking at plans and we were just about ready to commit to building it, when she got it in her head that she also wants to incorporate a bread/pizza oven. Seems easy enough- a little extra concrete and brick,I thought... During my research I found little in common with BBQ and bread making. The bread/pizza oven has the fire in the oven, gets to 700 or 400 degrees depending on pizza or bread. BBQ is offset, 210 and goes 15 hours or so... My question is, anyone ever build anything like this? At this point I'm thinking basically 2 structures that share little other than a concrete pad and maybe go back to back. Can't think of any way to share a heat source, chimmney,etc...

911 to anyone who's done this before me!! much obliged.....

-Danny
Penguinboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

I seem to recall seeing such a thing here somewhere (which of course, I can't find now..).
My hunch would be that you would have two chambers. One would hold your fire, directly above which would be your cooking chamber for bread and pizza. Your smoking chamber would be next to the bread chamber, using the heat source in the standard off-set fashion.
Naturally, the door to your fire chamber would have adjustable vents for temerature control. I don't think you'd be able to do 'que and make bread at the same time though..
Just my 2 cents....

I'd also like to hear any other ideas on this - we're moving to a new house and the wife is serious about making something similar. Just who the heck do you call to make it?

Mike

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

you can build a fire box on bottom for bbq pit, directly over that would be cooking racks or hooks for you bbq, over that would be the dome for bread/pizza and in the rear of this chamber is where you build your fire
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a blog post I found that may be a good starting point:
http://bbqguyblog.blogspot.com/2006/...k-bbq-pit.html
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Penguinboy

I saw that one the other day- great read! The author states he originally had planned a brick pizza oven, but changed the plan due to space limitations, but wishes he had done it. With the price of bread going up the way it is, my wife is determined to bake her own! We buy buns at a local restaurant supply place- 12 pack of wonder burger buns for pulled pork sammys- $.89 last week. Bought some yesterday for a party we're throwing this weekend- $1.45. $.56 increase in a week!! OUCH!!! Catering prices are going up this year!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Take a look at this site, there may be something here that you might find interesting.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
jiarby
Full Fledged Farker

A jumbo ceramic cooker can make bread, grill steaks, and do low & slow.
BGE, KomodoKamado, Primo, Grill Dome, etc... all make cookers that hit all three of your requirements...except for brick & built-in.
jiarby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

I bake pizza and bread in my BWS with the edition of ceramic floor tiles and or quarry tiles.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
Irrad8
is one Smokin' Farker

I saw a plan awhile back that showed Inlaid "pipes" going from the "hot" chamber to the "cool" chamber. Sorry I don't remember where I saw that.
Kenmore - 5 burner gasser (for grillin'), 2 burner (for tailgatn')
KCBS member & CBJ
2003 PLAYMOR 7' X 16' Hauler
Am I in the "wood pile" ......again..
Irrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Take a look at this site, there may be something here that you might find interesting.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/
I moonlight at that site quite a bit. I'm "Brauma" on that forum too.

My thoughts would be to keep the BBQ and pizza oven separate if you want a masonry structure.

The best compromise is a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to do BBQ and pizza with one apparatus.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #11
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
I moonlight at that site quite a bit. I'm "Brauma" on that forum too.

My thoughts would be to keep the BBQ and pizza oven separate if you want a masonry structure.

The best compromise is a Big Green Egg (BGE) if you want to do BBQ and pizza with one apparatus.
like this?

Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Brauma

I knew Rick would chime in soon. He should be on the BGE payroll to teach classes.

So what are you looking to build, Danny? An outdoor kitchen?

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Penguinboy

Brauma- Not really looking for a full fledged outdoor kitchen... We have 2 WSMs, 2-blue weber gold one touch kettles, one special edition Homer simpson 22" one touch that only comes out on special occassions, and a propane grill- mostly to simmer onions and beer for brats! We wanted to pour a big concrete pad to put them all on and build a nice pergola over it, then we got the idea to add a brick pit, classic style, for burgers and dogs and chix and a fireplace. Then we figured we could get some sort of enclosure/door to add so we could smoke, then my wife wanted to do a pizza/bread oven. Now I'm running out of room on my pad! So not really what I think of as a kitchen- just BBQ. Thinking someone must've done this before me. I'm thinking now maybe a side by side dealie, one big massive brick structure, since the heat sources are so different and run at such different temps and times. Got any ideas? -Danny

Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #14
Brauma

That sounds a lot like what I have in mind. I've run the gambit from doing a concrete patio to laying pavers to stamped concrete. I want it under roof like you mentioned. What I'm looking at is constructing a pyramidal roof structure with a cupola at the peak. A ceiling fan will be mounted in the cupola or just under it to draw out all the smoke and heat. I'm thinking this structure will be 12x12'.

Once thats built I'll lay pavers or flagstones and I can change the layout around until it works for me.

I just want to place all my cooking equipment under one outdoor roof for now and be more organized. I don't see a masonry BBQ pit in my plans right now but I would love to build a Pompeii style pizza oven in the future.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #15
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Even if you bought a medium & large Big Green Egg you would be ahead of the cash game and much happier than having a built in. If you sell your house you can take your eggs with you. You cannot do meat like that done on an egg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
like this?

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote