• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Presenting the Porkbardi - Lombardi meat trophhy

ncBBQtx

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thanks to ALL you who helped me with my questions.

I drew inspiration from the baconbardi, which was created by the master Ben “Sweet Lou” Krout and detailed on his blog at http://baconchef.wordpress.com/tag/...rophy-bbq-addicts-intentional-foul-superbowl/

Thanks Ben BaconChef - you are a culinary bacon god!

For my creation I purchased...

• 9 lb bone in ham that had been reduced to to .90 a lb.
  • 4 packs of the cheapest thick sliced bacon I could find (only need three)
  • 2 1lb chubs of hot sausage
  • 1 Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce (any sauce will do)
  • 1/2 lb hot pepper cheese
  • toothpicks
  • 3 jalepenos

My biggest paranoia was being worried about the fatty staying on top of the ham. This was my first fatty. I learned after making the fatty that they are seriously pretty solid and I could have even gone with a bigger fatty or fattyball which is what I was calling my "football".

Start making a regular fatty, using the 2 lbs of hot sausage, chopped jalepenos and hot pepper cheese. I meant to add some rub and/or BBQ sauce but forgot.

4d288ebf-4a64-4351-a590-5ccc3364be96.jpg

Rolled that sucker up in a bacon weave. The first attempt looked like a log with pointy ends so I removed probably 3/4 of a lb of sausage. In the photo below you can see the ends look "empty". I removed one of the vertical pieces of bacon from each end.

448d6031-d79d-4418-8d46-a19eea49bb99.jpg

In this photo you see the excess bacon on the end, I cut it on the diagonal and tucked it in.

59cfedff-4313-48bd-92ce-0227bf8cf152.jpg

I think this might work!!

3c86d3c9-a32b-4400-b4bb-6fd145e5cafb.jpg

You can see in the photo I had placed a thin dowel in the fatty because I thought I would need it for support, it ended up not being necessary, I just pulled it out. I started it in a 350 degree oven on a rack, because the smoker was full. I applied BBQ sauce for color while in the oven, next time would apply it sooner. Finished it in the smoker.

8380d957-7e4d-44a3-be95-0237f26a5289.jpg

Onto the ham base! I looked for hams that had a flat section, and not too much of an angle on the small cut end, first cut was the back of the trophy.

1402670b-2442-4691-bf75-2b1850344a1d.jpg

The rate limiting factor here was the bone (this would limit the angle of my front cut). The form is very loose interpretation of the hallowed trophy.

444b7cbe-4cfb-4830-a05c-93d2275985ae.jpg

I applied a glaze of apricot preserves to ham thinking it would help the bacon stick, it made no difference. I laid the pieces on overlapping each other and then stuck toothpicks where the edges overlapped.

545661f5-c40e-4480-85e0-97d6fc04dcbe.jpg

Trimmed up the top of bacon overhang. Next time would have left it longer, due to shrinkage. Still no room in the smoker so brushed it with BBQ sauce and then placed it in a 350 oven.

c331d687-24a1-4b1f-810a-7cdd62b60e07.jpg

Top view of Porkbardi! slathered on a little BBQ sauce and attached Jalepeno laces before it went in the smoker.

DSC_0062.jpg

Here is the finished Porkbardi!
c222a722-92ba-4d6d-b05d-370aa973d1c4.jpg

I carved a NFL shield out of ham in about 5 minutes with exacto knives and inlaid a jalepeno football. Next time, I would freeze ham before cutting it, because it does tear up very easily. Also I placed the ham base in the smoker after pulling out the toothpicks. BIG mistake! The bacon started to shrink up and come apart. Also it looked better to put the shield on the slopping side but that is contrary to the original Lombardi design.

Last edited:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I think I'd rather win this....

Very nice!!! I bet we would have had a better game yesterday if those pot heads from Denver were playing for that trophy instead. :thumb:

That's just too cool. Nice work!

Friggun cool! Unfortunately Roger Goodell's thugs will be in contact with you soon to sue you into oblivion!

Artistic AND Edible. Bottle rockets exploding.

Friggun cool! Unfortunately Roger Goodell's thugs will be in contact with you soon to sue you into oblivion!

They'll have to catch me first, I plan on hiding behind a big stack of UDS's, blowing thick white smoke, when the "suits" come for me.

Shoot me a copy of that and I will put it on Vince`s grave next time I`m in Jersey.He and my Mother were from the same area and unfortunately died the same week in Oct.1970 and are buried next to each other.His headstone is very simple as is my Mother`s.That week changed the life of many.Nice cook and beautifully presented.

Back