MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Pork Tacos, Mexican Rice, and Refried Beans.

Made up some pork tacos with some homemade sausage I made the other day. Decided I'd smoke it on Lil' Spidey and see what it tasted like, and man it was gooood.

Made some refried black beans with homemade taco seasoning, some rendered pork fat from the butts I processed into sausage, and some pork stock I had canned up:

On the grill for an hour, hour and a half, and here's what I ended up with:

Ground it down:

Made some red sauce for the refried beans and Mexican rice using ancho peppers, hatch peppers, some cloves, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Steeped the peppers in some water, ground the seasonings in my mortar and pestle, stuck it all in the blender, and then simmered on the stove:

Made some guacamole seasoned with some salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder, cumin, and some jalapeno brine:

Grilled some onions up for the tacos:

End results: Tacos, corn cooked in some butter and ground hatch chiles, refried beans and Mexican rice with red sauce. I could drink that red sauce by the gallon it's so good!

Thanks for looking.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
motoeric
Babbling Farker

That looks great! Nice job. I tried making some pulled pork tacos this weekend and they didn't turn out anywhere close to that good.

ERic

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Outstanding looking meal!!!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why can't I get taco plates that look that good around here?

Nice cooking JG

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Awesome plate! Wish I could smell it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Nice job!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
papabill
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Man does that look yummy. Great job.
papabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
gtr

Homemade fatties, pork stock, the salsa - you complete me dude.

I've been using smoked pork stock a lot lately - in sausage when distributing the spices, in beans, and I injected my last pulled pork with it, which I will most definitely be doing again.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Badger,

You are sandbagging me! Thank you for your compliments on my fish taco cook. However...this is out of this world! I am so flattered you even noticed my cook. So much homemade goodness, tweaked and made to your liking. If you tell me you forged that CIS with your bare hands I'm not gonna be surprised. Great cook!
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
That looks great! Nice job. I tried making some pulled pork tacos this weekend and they didn't turn out anywhere close to that good.

ERic
Yeah I've tried a couple of different methods with the pork tacos. First incarnation was pulled pork tacos, but my wife said she preferred pulled pork on a bun, not a tortilla. The second incarnation was pork that was cut down into chunks, but my wife said she prefers that when I do carnitas, and likes it in some green sauce, this is the third incarnation, and she said it was perfect. Ground is the way to go. I think I'm gonna take a Picnic or a butt and smoke that bad boy to about 170º and try cubing that up, mix it with some green sauce, and see how she likes that too. The fatty ground pork is definitely a keeper in either event though. Reminded me of my teen years of sucking down soft taco supremes during my shift at Taco Bell, but you know, tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Why can't I get taco plates that look that good around here?

Nice cooking JG
You know, I spent about six or eight months out in California for business purposes, and not once in that whole time did I even try a Mexican restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Homemade fatties, pork stock, the salsa - you complete me dude.

I've been using smoked pork stock a lot lately - in sausage when distributing the spices, in beans, and I injected my last pulled pork with it, which I will most definitely be doing again.
How do you do the smoked pork stock? You making the stock and then adding smoke to it in your pit? Or the bones are smoked? I've wondered about throwing the stock in there after I'm done making it for some extra smoky flavor, but worried about it not coming out the way I picture. Right now I take the bones from the smoked butts, or I smoke the bones after I cut them out of the butts when I'm grinding sausage, and then I make it all up into stock that way. I've been using my pressure cooker since I got it. Let it run for about an hour, and those bones become jelly mush. So awesome. Might have to throw it on the smoker after I strain that and see what happens.

Injecting butts with pork stock CANNOT be beaten man. I love that stuff so much. I've had a few people act completely shocked when I talk about pork stock. Can't disrespect those bones man! Especially when it tastes so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Farmer View Post
Badger,

You are sandbagging me! Thank you for your compliments on my fish taco cook. However...this is out of this world! I am so flattered you even noticed my cook. So much homemade goodness, tweaked and made to your liking. If you tell me you forged that CIS with your bare hands I'm not gonna be surprised. Great cook!
I thank you for the compliments good sir. You inspired me to take a crack at fish tacos some time down the road. I have never made any myself, only had em from some food trucks out in Houston. Your cook made me decide real quick I need to take a crack at it. Looked freaking delicious!

Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

Sweet! Just missing the Tequila!
Humble Soul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I just want to eat all of that now.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Oh yeah! I'd hit that!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #14
Phubar

Plate Phull of goodness!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #15
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Those look great!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote