For Bier Snobs Only, Smoke Beer!

Thermal Mass

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
First off, not a bier snob at all. We happened into this German restaurant last weekend in Green Bay for a nice family dinner.

The bier list was extensive!

Being somewhat familiar with traditional imports my first two selections were pretty standard, Spaten and Westmalle.

After some browsing I spotted this gem!

Considering I am not eloquent in bier lingo, here is how I would best describe it: Smooth with a tone similar to a doppleboch but not sweet, little to no hoppyness but a STRONG smoke flavor and mild smoke finish.

If you happen on this I would highly recommend trying it with your next "smoke"!:becky:

I am curious of how others who may have had this how they would describe it, so comment please.:thumb: Thanks for looking.

I love smoked beer, I haven't had that one but I used to get it all the time thirty years ago, but it hasn't been available around here for a long time. A local brewery here makes a smoked Porter that is very nice.

That sounds like something I'd like to try. I really enjoy Stone Brewing Smoked Porter. It goes great with BBQ.

s-porter-bttle22.png

looking at that, I would guess that if you drink 6 bottles, you will wake up and it will feel like there is sandpaper behind your eyeballs, ....

it will feel like your nuts are in a vice grip, so you will have a splitting headache, ....

and your mouth will be as dry as the bottom of a canary cage

thats just my 'gut feel'

if you live on long island and you like smoked beer, definitely check out the microbrewery blind bat, they have a phenomenal smoked porter, they smoke all the grains in house.

I'm not a real fan of smoke beers but once in a while I'll brew a Smoked Porter using 2-Row lightly smoked with Alder. It doesn't take much to overwhelm a beer. Cheers!!!

That Schlenkerla Marzen is the benchmark for Rauschbiers! Goes great with BBQ and stogies!
Absolutely! I'm happy to say I had that on draft once. If you can find it, buy it!

I was in Cologne last Friday

Here is where we ended up

That place...isn't that the strawberry beer?

my favorite smoked beer is alaskan smoked porter and aged it's divine.

another popular one that i tried, but just didn't dig as much was surly smoke.

Absolutely! I'm happy to say I had that on draft once. If you can find it, buy it!

That place...isn't that the strawberry beer?

oh no. this is the real thing brewed in the back. apparently its a very famous bier. I still cannot pronounce the name

strawberry bier in Germany?

I dont think so LOL

I'm not a real fan of smoke beers but once in a while I'll brew a Smoked Porter using 2-Row lightly smoked with Alder. It doesn't take much to overwhelm a beer. Cheers!!!

I just did a porter with some of my grains smoked over alder, with a bit of cherry. Came out great...best beer I've done since I started brewing again...of course, I've only finished 3 batches, but that's beside the point.

oh no. this is the real thing brewed in the back. apparently its a very famous bier. I still cannot pronounce the name

strawberry bier in Germany?

I dont think so LOL

I guess if I'd done me research I'd've seen it was Früli beer I was thinking of. Dutch. Chicks dig it. :wink:

I guess if I'd done me research I'd've seen it was Früli beer I was thinking of. Dutch. Chicks dig it. :wink:

oh ok. I was told by the guy showing me around its a very famous bier brewed only there.

thats all I know, and its a pilsner and it was very good

Back