MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Question Peoria Custom Cooker 24 x 48 advice please

Alright everyone,

I recently posted asking for advice on a gas smoker and was severely rebuked for my choice. So I'm here to say that you brainwashing efforts are having an effect and I'm looking at a lump/stick burner. The one I'm considering is a PCC 24 x 48 offset. In my research, I can't find anyone who has anything negative to say about the company or the unit...in fact most of the discussion is singing the praises of both. The other point in their favor is the fact that they are only a couple of hours away, so I could drive down and pick it up instead of paying hundreds of $ to ship the unit. All that being said,

I'm looking for some advice on the various options (particularly from those folks that own the subject unit) and any other thoughts on the unit itself. Here is the link for those of you that may not be familiar.

http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-...rd-cooker.html

So I'm planning on the insulated firebox and the SS grates but I'm wondering about the adjustable baffle, grill top/lid on the firebox, etc... So any thoughts? (coulda, shoulda, woulda, etc..) or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks like a nice unit. How thick is the steel that they use? In the RF offset that I built, I did not worry about stainless steel grates. I used regular, mild steel for mine and seasoned them well. In 2 years, they have not rusted at all. I like the idea of the insulated firebox a lot. I have heard that the adjustable baffle is nice on a standard offset cooker. As for the grill, that is a personal preference. I like to use a dedicated grill, so it would not be useful for me.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

It's my understanding that it's all 1/4" steel.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
DcsDiver
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey Troy! Just wanted to share some of my thoughts on the 24X48 Backyard. I just ordered one about 3 weeks ago and had many of the same questions. After much discussion with Bill and Sarah at PCC, I ordered the 24X48 Backyard with an insulated firebox (must have on that unit) without the grill top. The grill seems like a nice idea, but would rather have a dedicated grill for for direct/indirect cooking. Direct drips into the firebox would cause some serious flareups as well as ash permeating the smoke chamber. Additionally, there wasn't enough surface area to meet my needs.

As far as the other bells and whistles, I ordered the charcoal basket, charcoal clean out basket, brass drain valve and an extra thermometer for the lower part of the chamber. Shipping was another major factor when choosing PCC. I looked at many other manufacturers during my quest, but $500 to ship it was hard to justify, so I just bought 500 bucks in accessories/upgrades. I did order the trailer option for the cooker allowing for easy transport to family cookouts and such, plus I didn't feel like pushing that beast into my garage after each use. I didn't get the baffles with my 24x48. Cost/benefit reasons.

I may purchase the SS grates in the future, but those as well as other options can be added down the road. I just bought what I thought had to be bolted together during the build process. I was going to get the SS smoke stacks, but the secretary of finance vetoed that expenditure. If I want the stainless steel work surface or any other goodies, I can just call PCC and have them add them as needed.

Anyway, hope this helps...

Last edited by DcsDiver; 04-28-2013 at 09:37 PM..
DcsDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the feedback Diver!

I may head in another direction for a variety of reasons, but thanks anyway!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I use a gas smoker and I have had great results. As someone originally from the Peoria area, I support that choice though.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I looked at their website and they are nice looking cookers. A little pricey maybe but nice. Have you thought about a UDS?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Peoria meat monster and the quality is top notch. I can't speak to the 24x48 but I know they build very solid cookers.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Keep a eye on the Chicago & Milw. Craigslist. You would be suprised how many higher end stick burners pop up

Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

I have been looking at these cookers also but I dont know if I will be able to live without the cooking grate in the firebox. I like the idea of being able to sear some meat and not having to start another grill just to do that. Like last night I had all three grills going to make dinner. Smoked the ribeye in the pellet grill then reverse seared on the weber q and cooked the potatoes and vegies on the big gasser. Now we are looking for one grill to do everything.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
DcsDiver

I hear ya Northern. Consolidating all of your gear sure would be nice. Hope you and Troy share what you decided on.

Take care...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I've drooled over their website... Looks like an extremely well thought out and well built cooker. Definite "yes" on the insulated firebox but I'd skip the grill grate in the firebox option. You can buy a good dedicated grill for less than the price of the option. Hard to use the grill at the same time you're smoking without messing up the airflow. Stainless cooking grids would be great (grate?) but I imagine they're pricy. The stainless stacks with the ability to turn them as the wind changes looks like a great idea but I imagine the additional cost of materials and fabrication to be considerable. I'd spring for the adjustable plates.

It won't be a set and forget cooker... No stickburner is... but you should be able to get long burn times with a charcoal basket.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
BigDW
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : BigDW

Just picked my Peoria 24x48 up yesterday and went with a couple upgrades I chose based on budget and functionality. First was the insulated firebox with grill. I debated a lot on whether to get the firebox grill or not and decided last minute to do it because while I can fire up another grill if I want to cook direct, I’d hate to be stuck looking at the top of the firebox if/when I needed it. Second was the four pneumatic. While three works fine, I plan on moving it around a bit so four made more sense to me.

Passed on adjustable baffles since I opted for firebox grill and assumed I could add a charcoal basket myself later on if needed. Wanted stainless steel everything but was already pushing my budget…
BigDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

Nice looking smoker... I would suggest the moblie option or trailer option because that thing will be HEAVY!! I have a lang 60 deluxe and it weighs in around 1400 lbs., but nice choice with the stick burner... my friends say I'm "old school" for getting a stick burner, but with patience the que tastes great!!

Enjoy!!
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
DcsDiver

BigDW, I'd love to see some pics of your new rig. Mine is a couple of weeks out from being finished. Can't wait.

Tags
Peoria cookers